PRSI Refunds

Edel V

It is my understanding that due to the fact that my earnings last year were less than €20,800 I am entitled to a refund of the 2% Health Levy. Anybody know how I can go about claiming this or who I can ring to find out the relevant details.

Thanks

Edel

PRSI is calculated on your weekly wage. If your weekly wage each week was under 400 and you paid the 2% health levy then you are entitled to a refund.
What Class were you on? This should be on your P60. If you were on €400 per week then PRSI is €10.92

See here for PRSI rates
and here for form to complete to claim a refund

Thanks for that, earnings are above €400 weekly so I do pay the 2% health levy. However I was on temporary lay off for 5 months of the year which resulted in my total income for 2005 being less than €20,800. This means that I can claim the 2% levy back, will fill in the forms and send them off and hope for a speedy refund !!! Thanks again for your reply.

Edel

This means that I can claim the 2% levy back

I don't think you can as PRSI is based on your weekly wage and is not cumulative in the same way that PAYE is.

Am happy to be able to correct you on this one, finally found someone in Revenue to speak to and was sent the following information along with the forms to fill in to reclaim the levy.

"Where an employee earns no more than €400 per week no levy is payable. If an employee's weekly earnings fluctuate above and below €400 and the cumulative earnings for 2005 do not exceed €20,800 the employee can apply for a repayment of all his Health Contributions levy deductions"

Have filled in the forms and will hopefully receive a refund in the not so distant future.

what if you earn 500 a week every week for 10 weeks. It never fluctuated below 400 but the total for the year is below 20,800???

By the way, PRSI refunds can literally take up to 4-5 months...

Me thinks my bubble has just been burst. Am probably getting carried away with the idea of a refund, when has anything to do with tax been straightforward. Ah well I have filled in the forms and returned them so nothing ventured nothing gained. Will just have to sit back and play the waiting game now.

Edel

Was delighted to arrive home yesterday to find a cheque for €350 in the post. Was entitled to a PRSI Refund after all and didn't take half as long as I expected. The saying nothing ventured, nothing gained really paid off for me this time as I nearly didn't bother applying. Now I'm just faced with the terrible problem of what to spend it on !!!!!

Edel

Back