Protecting my finances and getting married

But if 'all-in' is weighted 80/20% at that point.. and when it possibly comes to an unfortunate 50/50% cash-out, would you not regret hiding some of your wealth in advance??
I know I did!!
And I will next time.

I would generally agree with the above; but if there are children then protections like the family home for example are important.

"Rich *widows are the only secondhand goods that sell at first-class prices" Benjamin Franklin (* or widowers for equality purposes)

This quote could not be more relevant.

This dilemma is a genuine one for any prudent person and I fully agree with the concerns of grimfandango and NewEdition.

Due to the absurdity of prenuptial agreements not being legally recognised or a division of wealth based upon who acquired it in the event of a separation or divorce, proceed with caution.

Unless I meet someone with the same or more to lose than me I will not be cohabiting or marrying them. Another factor to consider is the continuing entitlement to a widows/widowers contributory pension if your ex-spouse predeceases you, which would be negated if you remarry or cohabit.

"Rich *widows are the only secondhand goods that sell at first-class prices" Benjamin Franklin (* or widowers for equality purposes)

This quote could not be more relevant.

This dilemma is a genuine one for any prudent person and I fully agree with the concerns of grimfandango and NewEdition.

Due to the absurdity of prenuptial agreements not being legally recognised or a division of wealth based upon who acquired it in the event of a separation or divorce, proceed with caution.

Unless I meet someone with the same or more to lose than me I will not be cohabiting or marrying them. Another factor to consider is the continuing entitlement to a widows/widowers contributory pension if your ex-spouse predeceases you, which would be negated if you remarry or cohabit.
Most honest tinder profile ever

pre-nuptual agreements don't have any basis in law in Ireland
While pre-nupital agreements are not binding in this country, they can be heavily persuasive to a judge in a Separation or Divorce case if:

• Both sides obtain legal advice on it
  • They make "proper provision" for the other party.
  • There are updated if children are born etc.
Jim Stafford

This is not a good attitude going into a marriage. If you intend to get married you need to accept that you both now own each others assets and liabilities.
If you can't accept that then marriage may not be for you. You can't really get married to somebody if you don't accept it's an equal partnership.

I'd be staying single rather than think like that.

Most honest tinder profile ever

I know. Man earning x amount looking for girl earning the same or more. If you earn less, that is ok but we will only be for fun. If you want commitment including cohabiting or marriage, you will need to provide a statement of means including all assets before entering into said commitment. If you meet the means test i.e. earn as much as me and promise never to do anything that might compromise your earning power like have babies etc, I will happily commit to a long life together (as long as you don't expect me to share more than 50%).

I know. Man earning x amount looking for girl earning the same or more. If you earn less, that is ok but we will only be for fun. If you want commitment including cohabiting or marriage, you will need to provide a statement of means including all assets before entering into said commitment. If you meet the means test i.e. earn as much as me and promise never to do anything that might compromise your earning power like have babies etc, I will happily commit to a long life together (as long as you don't expect me to share more than 50%).

Where does it say I'm a man or single?

Are you just assuming I'm single or is there a coded message in my post which I've missed?

Not very coded
"Unless I meet someone with the same or more to lose than me I will not be cohabiting or marrying them. "

This is not a good attitude going into a marriage. If you intend to get married you need to accept that you both now own each others assets and liabilities.
It's horrible alright but I was burned so badly in the past, I find trusting a potential partner very difficult now.

Though if they tick those boxes it could be bliss...

In the eyes of the law they are your common law husband/wife.

After how long would this actually apply out of interest?
A girlfriend of three months surely has no claim on my house if she moved in for a period of time?? If that was the case, surely it would be an industry!

After how long would this actually apply out of interest?
A girlfriend of three months surely has no claim on my house if she moved in for a period of time?? If that was the case, surely it would be an industry!
My understanding is that there is no common law wife /husband in ireland. Either you are married and have all the inheritance, tax rights etc that that entails or you are like two strangers living together and will have no rights?

Back