Property Ladder - UCD Course

Audrey

Anybody at the new PROPERTY LADDER course in UCD last night? What did you think? I was surprised at the turnout - absolutely jam packed. Has all the signs of being a great course.

Re: Property Ladder

I was there, yes, it was pretty packed alright and was interesting last night.

I think it will certainly be a good introduction to the Irish and some overseas markets, though the forthcoming session on the Limerick and Munster market sounds a little bit like they didn't find another speaker after doing the course in Limerick, but we'll see. (Unless Munster is the new Bulgaria :))

Glad you enjoyed it too. I'm looking forward to next Monday, as I've already bought in Bulgaria!! So here's hoping I'll be proven right. Have you made any inroads yourself, or are you waiting to get advice from this course before taking the plunge?

Why not post what the course introduction was about & what it plans to cover..?

Here's a brief summary of the course syllabus.

Week 1, yesterday:
Overview of Irish market, a few minutes on financing an Irish investment (presented by Hooke and MacDonald and Irish Mortgage Corp...without too much plugging!)

Week 2:
Opportunities in Croatia, Turkey and Bulgaria (presented by Aquarius Properties Abroad)
Valuation - science or guesswork (David Fitzgerald - Auctioneer)

Week 3:
Process of overseas prop. acquisitions
Buying in baltic states, Germany and the UK (Stigma Private Equity Limited)
Budapest overview and opportunities in Ukraine and Kiev (Young Estate Agents)

Week 4:
Internation prop. investment strategies
UK and US commericial investment opportunities (Investor First)
General Pitfalls to avoid when buying property (Diarmaid Condon - referenced in a recent post I believe - he writes for SBP)

Week 5:
Tax implications of prop. investment at home and away

Week 6:
Investment in Florida (Contempo Ireland)
Prop. opportunities in Ireland with focus on Limerick and Munster (The Property People)

Week 7:
France - tax and legal info (Oui Can Do)
A landlords perspective on rental properties in Ireland ( Maureen Moran)

Week 8:
Shanghai (Shanghai Vision)
Dubai ( Capital Eyes)

Looks like a captive audience for the sales guys, IMHO - Was there a fee involved in paying to get to see a pile of sales presentations?

I imagine the presence of some sales folk is unavoidable. Although more journalists and analysts would be welcome.

It is up to those who attend the course to listen and sort out the BS from the fact.

muzaway said:
It is up to those who attend the course to listen and sort out the BS from the fact.

Agreed, but I'd be concerned over the number of vested interests who are presenting alright.

Ireland is often a really tough place to get impartial advice on almost anything.

how do u go to that / signup to goto?
post details i may pop in just for a look...

Looking at the agenda it looks a lot like what's being presented at property expo in Galway on 8th and 9th of October. Some of the same agencies too. And all in one day..

Saturday, October 8th

10am - 11am

Shanghai - The City of the 21st Century
Seamus Keating of Shanghai Vision

11am - 12am

Budapest: The Investment Opportunities
Micheline McNamara and Reka Mayer of Budapest Investment Partners

12pm - 1pm
How to make the Best Profits in Emerging Markets
Jonty & Alise Crossick of Ready 2 Invest

1pm - 2pm
An Overview of Property in the UK, with Market Specifics on Nottingham
James D. McGrath of Lacemarket Properties & James Connolly of Homesellers Ltd.

2pm - 3pm
Self-Directed Pensions: Financing Foreign Property Through Your Pension
Pat Surlis of Just Financial

3pm - 4pm
Tax Implications for Foreign Investment: focusing on Hungary, Bulgaria & Portugal
Sonia McEntee - Tax & Legal Director Of KenDar Holdings Ltd.

4pm - 5pm
Opportunities for Investors in the Emerging Property Markets of Croatia, Turkey, Bulgaria & Montenegro
Noreen Hynes of Aquarius Properties Abroad

5pm - 6pm
Investing in French Leaseback Property
Pat Cody of Azur Assistance

Does anybody else find it odd that this is described as a "course" as opposed to a sales pitch?

Depends on the content I would think. There is scope for the presenter to go in either direction. It would probably only be really instructive if the audience was good for asking difficult questions and watching the reaction.

According to the "course" syllabus outlined above by muzaway all modules are presented by people with a vested interest in selling property - this hardly bodes well for getting a balanced appraisal of the issues involved (e.g. the risks involved, how to decide that property as opposed to some other investment strategy is appropriate in specific circumstances etc.).

obviously this is a sales pitch but id like to hear it as i want to see what lies they tell.. isnt that a good enough reason to tip along ???

I wouldn't pay €150 (or anything) to tip along for a sales pitch but each to their own.

ClubMan said:
Does anybody else find it odd that this is described as a "course" as opposed to a sales pitch?

Well IMHO a course should be teaching you how to cut out the middleman.. but this course is basically being given by middlemen so they're hardly going to do that..

either would i pay €150 thats a ripoff didnt know it cost thought it was free...!

People go to these courses because they are being told what they want to here, would anyone attend a course on property bubbles and their cosequences? and pay $150 for the privilege ?

When I outlined the course syllabus I included the people or companies who were presenting each piece. Why? To indicate that I am aware that these folks all have vested interests.

What is wrong with attending the course and listening to what is being said? I am not an expert on property investment, or any type of investment for that matter, but I'm trying to learn by reading and researching in my spare time. Going along to this course is just another aspect of that research.

If I do choose to purchase property here or abroad I will do so having thoroughly investigated the decision and after seeking advice.

People at mondays session were asking questions of the gentlemen from Hooke and MacDonald and were quick to point out instances where they were simplifying matters or only pointing out the upside.

Finally, I would be interested to see recommendations of independent, disinterested presenters on these topics and locations.

Muzaway

I echo those sentiments 100%. I was there too, as you know, and of course the presenters have some bias, but we're not all (those attending) without the brains to work that one out!! Still, it's one part of an overall project of research and investigation for my part (similar to you). I think we will get an overall feel for the market that we may not have had before the course, and also I intend to learn more about the financial end of things. Also, as I think I said before, I've bought in Bulgaria and some will be interested in next Monday's talk in that regard. I don't think there's any danger that any one of us is actually going to buy a property from these guys as a result of the course, but if and when we do buy a property, from anyone, we will be a little better equipped than we were prior to the course. Good luck Muzaway. Might see you at the drinks machine during the break on Monday!! BTW, went to that machine on Monday night and pay the extortionate price of €2.20 for a slightly orange drink.

Back