Professional cv writer worthwhile?

I get a picture on a CV and it goes in the bin. This isn't a dating agency.

You obviously restrict yourself to Irish & UK people only. Photos are almost mandatory on European CVs.

And avoid templates at all costs at any level of employment. But at executive level??? Would be laughed out the door.
Obviously you amend the template to make it fit-for-purpose. Most of the formatting already done. I'm not at C Suite (or a recruiter) but I've handled C Suite CVs coming in the door.

yes me too, hence the post, do you recommend anyone?

I have not but form a quick google there are a few people doing it for <100 eur. On reflection though you will need a CV to base it from for most of these people.

I dislike linkedIn profiles that are just a copy of a persons CV. These are my tips

1. Condense older jobs i.e. we don't need to see that 15 years ago you worked on x as a graduate for example
2. If you have gone through the ranks in a company over a long period of time consider condensing it rather than showing each level and each job title.
3. Remove Corporate Grades i.e. Don't say you are a VP because companies use different structures and that could put recruiters off.
4. The last 2 roles you have had inset highlevel details but not what you do on a day to day basis for example use "Head of Financial Reporting covering a portfolio of 20bln" is better than "Responsible for financial reporting involving daily reporting, sign offs etc"
5. Have a killer intro which is essentially a cover letter as this is what most people will read.

These are my tips.

Yes, internal politics play a massive part in the process, and with every new CEO assignment the inevitable reshuffle creates opportunities as well as challenges based on existing alliances !!!
FinTech's (or disrupter's across other industries) tend to have started either as a pure start-up by young entrepreneur's or mature/seasoned executives who wish to do things differently. Think of Anne Boden's Starling Bank versus Valentin Stalf/Maximilian Tayenthal with N26. Anne was a seasoned banking professional with AIB, whereas the other guys came from a very different background.
However, a lot of disrupter companies reach a tipping point where the investors will want to bring on 'established' professionals in their domain.

I am exactly in this position in my role at the moment. The investors want consultants on board as they feel it will reduce overall risk - one throat to choke !! Its a complex situation to be in, but its a very difficult to circumvent ! Money talks ultimately

Absolutely agree with this - its all about the personal brand image as a leader. But this will include speaking at conferences/forums (if it makes sense in your role), writing articles supporting the approach you wish to take (think disrupter challenging convention versus the traditional challenging certain innovations) and maintaining an active social media 'professional' presence

The key to all of that is understanding the direction you wish to head, and where you think the opportunities will reside, both in terms of industry and type of company. Also need to consider the range of industries you wish to explore (hard to be knowledge across all of them etc). I would personally love to move into the technology side of fund management, but would be very difficult to break into at the moment given the 'closed shop' nature of the industry !

I think we could be working for the same firm haha

You obviously restrict yourself to Irish & UK people only. Photos are almost mandatory on European CVs.

Obviously you amend the template to make it fit-for-purpose. Most of the formatting already done. I'm not at C Suite (or a recruiter) but I've handled C Suite CVs coming in the door.

No I dont but this is Ireland. I work for a continental financial institution. We don't put photos on cvs here. If I was going for a job in Italy or france I would probably put a picture on my cv but this is the irish market. I would expect candidates to know what local norms are. I have seen pictures that are basically dating sites pictures. I have seen people put how many LinkedIn and other social media followers they have. It's a no no. For me anyway.

Templates from Microsoft word are not suitable templates for any cv apart maybe very junior roles. Even if you modify them, they are easily spotted.

Back