Process for Self-build (mortgage approval etc.)

fmmc

Hi,

As a novice in the house building game, apologies if these questions appear trivial. I've just this week had plans for a self-build submitted to local authority for planning permission. According to my architect, if things run smoothly, the best I can hope for is permission to be granted in approximately 3 months. Given this timeframe, I'd appreciate any advice on when I should begin looking for mortgage approval (I know - I should have researched this first but given reasonable level of savings & salary, I'm not expecting any major hitches). Furthermore, is there any value in obtaining quotes for building prior to plans being approved? Thanks in advance, fmmc

Hi,

Just in the middle of a self build. it all depends on the confidence of getting the planning. If you are confident then go ahead and start getting quotes. However if you are successful it normally, takes 8 weeks, you then have to wait for another 4 weeks to allow people like an taisce to object (public cannot object after 5 weeks from the original lodgement of the application). Then they will allow a futher week for postage delays to come from an taisce and then after 13 weeks you will get your full planning. You still cant start!! Will then need to submit a commencement notice which after submission you cannot start for around another two weeks. So minimum is 15 weeks and this is if they dont aks for further info!!. This is my experience in Kildare might be different where you live. This is to do it by the book.
if you get planning after 8 weeks you could go hell for leather after that (while waiting 5 weeks for an taisce).

Back