Probate to be granted

sullydublin

Hi guy's

I am currently in the process of a house which is in the final stages ie. Mortgage has to be drawn down, I believe the seller is a personal applicant & this process can take a little longer than if the solicitor was to do it.

We've been told that the probate can take 6-8 weeks now & that is leaving us very tight with the mortgage to be drawdown. I take it that i'm a sitting duck till then?

Any advice would be great thanks.

Just had a similar experience with a house I bought. Went sale agreed under the impression that probabte was granted (we had been told this by the estate agent). Turned out it hadn't as the vendor's solicitors had not submitted the paperwork to the probate office when they were supposed to.

There was nothing we could do but wait. We managed to find someone who had a contact in the probate office and through them we found out that the application was being sent back and forth between the solicitors and probabte office due to missing information etc.

Whole process was a nightmare. We effectively had no influence on the process and we had no knowledge of how long it was going to take.

I'd say a turn around of 6-8 weeks is probably the best you can hope for. However, if there are any complications it could go on a lot longer. In theory it could take 6 months or a year! You simply don't know.

I think it's about time that a law is brought in saying that until probate has been granted, a property cannot to be put on the market. It is unfair on the (potential) buyers and potentially a waste their time.

If the vendor has only recently applied for a Grant of Probate, you can forget about 6-8 weeks; it's usually more like 6-8 months. It might be, however, that the vendor applied some months ago, and has either been given a guideline on the waiting period or given a firm date for having the application scrutinised and probate granted (provided everything in the application is in order).

You need to contact the vendor and get clarification on where things stand.

I'll be honest we were told that it was going in to probate & that they were waiting on a date for an appointment which they had this week & they were told it will take 6-8 weeks.

Fingers crossed that we don't end up with a six month to year, I'm not going to walk away from this house.

Thanks for the advice.

Is there anyway to hurry up probate once it has made it's way into the probate office ? Any help would be great.

I went thro a personal application for probate and the solicitor told me (quite honestly) that it went thro far quicker for me than he could ever do it. Not sure you can 'hurry it up' tho. The probate office are lovely when you deal with them, but they seemed to me sticklers for the correct procedures etc. They are after all agents of the high court (I think).

I'm hoping thats the case, Just itching to get into the house, I would like to contact the office but was told it could delay it. It's head wrecking stuff

Back