Prize Bonds are looking attractive alternatives to deposits

Zilch since the 10th April.

Really gone to the dogs now. :mad:
Time to look at shifting funds methinks.

Hi all
I'm about to cash mine in... I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories but I do believe there is something not right with the allocation of prizes.

I bought a sizeable number of these last July (2014) and since then had the following wins
July 2014 - 2 x 50
Aug 2014 - 1 x 50
Sept 2014 - 2 x 50
Oct 2014 - 1 x 50
Nov 2014 - NONE
Dec 2014 - NONE
Jan 2015 - 1 x 50
Feb 2015 - NONE
Mar 2015 - NONE
Apr 2015 - NONE
May 2015 - NONE
June 2015 - NONE

There was a 21% drop in the interest rate the prize bonds were publishing in Nov 2014, which would contribute of course, but the drop off is stark.

Have others seen similar patterns that seem strange.?

yep I think its time to cash in alright,maybe in the future when the wider interest rates etc become stable prizebonds might be worth a punt again,its a shame really and the prizebonds company dont seem to worry that alot of money is leaving them.

Pat

Hi all
I'm about to cash mine in... I'm not normally one for conspiracy theories but I do believe there is something not right with the allocation of prizes.

I bought a sizeable number of these last July (2014) and since then had the following wins
July 2014 - 2 x 50
Aug 2014 - 1 x 50
Sept 2014 - 2 x 50
Oct 2014 - 1 x 50
Nov 2014 - NONE
Dec 2014 - NONE
Jan 2015 - 1 x 50
Feb 2015 - NONE
Mar 2015 - NONE
Apr 2015 - NONE
May 2015 - NONE
June 2015 - NONE

There was a 21% drop in the interest rate the prize bonds were publishing in Nov 2014, which would contribute of course, but the drop off is stark.

Have others seen similar patterns that seem strange.?

Couldn't agree more, my bonds have followed a VERY similar pattern.

Cashed in some a few months back and hey presto, some wins for a few weeks.
Seems like they need a nudge now and then like, "Hello I'm still here". :)

And like you, neither am I one for conspiracy theories. ;);)

Maybe I should just sell 1 prize bond first and see if I start to win again... then when it dries up sell another one...

Definitely smell a rat...

Here's what I've won on each batch since the 1st January. 100k batch doing a lot better than the 75k
cnRqS9y.jpg

I'm definitely getting shafted - they are getting cashed in next week. I might consider buying again just to see what happens for a month or two.

50 today from 100k batch.

On the topic of conspiracy theories and newly purchased bonds, I have my batch of 100k about 1 year longer than I have my batch of 75k and there isn't a massive difference between the size of the two batches - yet the 100k batch is doing a lot better! :)

I'm definitely getting shafted - they are getting cashed in next week. I might consider buying again just to see what happens for a month or two.
Do you mind me asking what size your batch is? Just interested in the return rate you were seeing last year and the odds against your bad run this year. You may not want to answer of course.

What is the maximum number of wins that you have scored on the weekly draw ?

I had few hat tricks over the last few years i.e. 3 x €50. Even though I have a reasonably large holding of bonds at the moment I never break 3 wins in a week.

Hello postman, I'll be cashing in my 75k batch in a couple of months as it will be used for a tax return - however I think I'll leave the 100k in PBs for the time being. I like having money split between short, medium and long term accounts and regard PBs as a 7 day notice account. The return is still acceptable to me compared to instant access/short notice bank accounts. .

I already have a fair amount in long term state saving products eg ~300k in issue 4 and 5 of the 10 year bond.

If I was starting from zero and got a windfall of 100k, I think I would put it in medium or long term products before PBs.

Yes true i think,prizebonds at this moment seem not great value,but if and when interest rates begin to rise they will become a good option again, anyway all the best with your decision.

Pat

Back