Principle Private Residence :: Property Tax

Nirvana999

I have a home in Ireland but I am currently working in the USA. My work visa requires (amongst other requirements) that I have a tangible link to Ireland , eg a home. Nobody else has any financial interest in the home. My work in the USA will likely end in the next 24 months as I do not have a green card and I will have to return to Ireland. At present I return twice a year and I pay water charges, electricity, receive mail etc at my home. The house is not rented out since I may need to return at any time. I own no other property, anywhere.
While I leave for work on a daily basis from an address in the USA I do not own the house I am living in.

Can my home in Ireland be considered my Principle Private Residence?

If you are not renting out the property, and do not own another property in Ireland that you are claiming as your PPR ... then if I were in your position I would claim it as PPR.

If I recall correctly, isn't there a provision that you had to go abroad for a specific job or a specific job requirement i.e. you couldn't emigrate and look around and find a job and then claim the Irish home as a PPR?

Maybe this has changed .. ..

Back