Prime Time will have a programme on charities including Peter McVerry tonight

Yes all their key programmes are funded by Government -local councils, HSE, etc and some small ones via their own resources and charitable donations.

It's a going concern.

No chance of anyone else doing their work and no chance of end supply of clients in the long term

What speaks here please
56+ million running costs. These are annual running costs to support how many clients? This is not to supply new homes. One of 26 homeless charities. We have Simon, Merchants Quay, Focus Ireland etc., Are there really that many families in need of this type of support on an annual basis? In addition to all the SW supports? Duplication of roles?

While some charities do good work, charities working in the same area should be amalgamated to reduce duplication
Have you looked at the public list of charities? Many are not engaged in what we might traditionally consider charitable activities, but they have found ways to qualify.

Many schools are registered, as are many musical and sporting bodies. I know a number of clubs with growing revenues who were advised to register in order to request tax exemptions from Revenue.

Have you looked at the public list of charities? Many are not engaged in what we might traditionally consider charitable activities, but they have found ways to qualify.

Many schools are registered, as are many musical and sporting bodies. I know a number of clubs with growing revenues who were advised to register in order to request tax exemptions from Revenue.
If your list of charities includes for example every sports club that has ever registered for charitable status with Revenue in order to facilitate grant or lottery funding or to secure tax exemption for a fundraiser, you're looking at the wrong list.

These entities are not charities and never have been charities.

Last edited:
If your list of charities includes for example every sports club that has ever registered for charitable status with Revenue in order to facilitate grant or lottery funding or to secure tax exemption for a fundraiser, you're looking at the wrong list.

These entities are not charities and never have been charities.
Yes, but I expect they are included in the figure of 11k "charities" quoted earlier in the thread. In that context, rhetoric about inefficiencies and amalgamation is somewhat misguided.

Ideally we would have a way for non-profits (with a community good in e.g. sports, the arts, etc.) to gain tax exemption while differentiating themselves from traditional charitable works.

Ideally we would have a way for non-profits (with a community good in e.g. sports, the arts, etc.) to gain tax exemption while differentiating themselves from traditional charitable works.
We do have that, as my point makes abundantly clear.

Thanks, I wasn't aware of the carve out for sports bodies, but it doesn't include arts organisations:

Most "professional" and many of the larger amateur arts bodies in Ireland are forced to register as "charities", usually with an "educational" aim. I think these are being counted in the "registered charity" figures.

Now that I'm aware sports are treated differently, I'm going to raise it with some representative bodies and relevant ministers. Although no doubt too late for the forthcoming budget.

61m is a lot of cash but I don’t think they are all well intentioned volunteers. Surely they have some professional staff and INEDS?
Not sure of current number but 2021 figures suggested the 5 largest NGOs in Dublin employed 1 full time equivalents for every 5-6 homeless people.

And more damning revelations from RTE.

The Peter McVerry Trust charity spent nearly €400,000 on a house which was intended to be used by the family of a friend of its former CEO, Prime Time understands. In an internal McVerry Trust document from July 2023 obtained by Prime Time, it is stated that the former CEO Pat Doyle had advised senior staff in the charity that the property in Kerry was for the use of the family of a specific friend...
The document notes that when Mr Doyle's successor sought evidence as to whether the family of Mr Doyle’s friend was eligible for such social housing, none could be obtained...
Ultimately, the proposed tenancy did not go ahead after Francis Doherty - who replaced Mr Doyle but subsequently resigned after fewer than five months at the helm of the charity - questioned its legitimacy.

Wonder why the new CEO - who questioned a lot of these "transactions" - only lasted five months in the job? (That reminds me - must watch Serpico again soon.)

Back