Price of water at Dublin airport

bacchus

Has anybody noticed a change in the price of a bottle of water (say 250ml or 500ml) at Dublin airport after the security checks since the application of the new EU hand baggage restriction on 06th November 2006 ?

I was always taking water with me from home, so don't know how much it was pre 06/11. But now needs to buy it at the airport as my children are always thrusty, especially when they know water is scarce:).
Paid €3.60 for 500ml, which i thought was expensive

Just a side note for those travelling with kids: i found it is still worth it to try to go through security with a 500ml bottle of water in kids's bag.... as it may be allowed to go trought depending on the security person..
So far, from my experience (2 travels), you have a 50/50 chance of keeping your water ....

Can't comment on that but was flying to the US recently. There's a shop in the US departure area after you clear US border control.

€7 for a 500 ml Coke!

Might have been specially imported I don't know. Put it back in the fridge.

Travelling myself tomorrow for first time since ban, and was wondering if we still got sc***ed on the water price, now that you cannot take it with you. Im in the habit of taking a litre to cover my journey. I wonder if you took an empty litre bottle with you, can you fill it anywhere for free after checkin?
R

I wonder if you took an empty litre bottle with you, can you fill it anywhere for free after checkin?
It crossed my mind as well....especially considering that many airports have water fontains around.
I don't see why not as the ban only applies to liquids, gels, pastes, lotions or liquid cosmetics and not empty containers.
Though I feel it will be at the discretion of the security personel..

Still would like to know if there has been a price hike on water at Dublin Airport?

Travelling myself tomorrow for first time since ban, and was wondering if we still got sc***ed on the water price, now that you cannot take it with you. Im in the habit of taking a litre to cover my journey. I wonder if you took an empty litre bottle with you, can you fill it anywhere for free after checkin?
R

Don't know about Dublin but in Heathrow there is a poster up showing what you can and can't bring and you're not allowed bring containers of greater than 100ml even if they have less than 100ml in them so I suspect empty containers would be a no - but as others have said, it depends on the security personnel - some are tough and some aren't.

The key issue here is that the water founatin (ive never seen one in dublin!) would have to be past the security check point. I cannot see that an empty water bottle ( sports plastic one) is by itself a security risk. It would be very hard to hurt anyone with it! Anyway I'll try it tomorrow and advise!
R

the thing is your not allowed bring through liquids over 100ml, and the fact that there would be no liquid in the bottle will be interesting to see their spin on it.
They have a customer care line, you could ring and ask them before you travel.

At our most local airport, Coventry, my wife took a half-full 120 ml of lotion (i.e. 60ml of lotion) but wasn't allowed to take it through.
She was also told that her hand luggage all had to be in one bag, including her handbag. Needless to say the handbag went under her coat outbound and she had no problems on the return trip.

I had to take off my coat at Dublin Airport and place it in the tray.
Friends had to remove boots. Imagine trying to take off long boots while standing - in public - while trying to maintain one's dignity+ equilibrium.
After arriving at my hotel I discovered that I had [unknowingly] smuggled in Lipsil [a gel].

It is a stupid rule, plain and simple.

There are so many reasons that it is stupid that I just don't know where to start.

One of the rules (which are stupid, did I mention that bit) is that you cannot bring in a single liquid with a volume greater than 100ml. But you can bring in multiple instances of it. So you could bring in a few 100ml bottles of water. I can see the price of 100ml bottles of water going up landside . . .

Of course, a family or group travelling together can bring in many multiple instances, so you could bring in litres of this dangerous stuff (water) if you got together.

The reality is this achieves nothing other than boosting the profits of airside retailers. If they let you drink infant milk, then why not apply the same rules to water and other liquids - if you can drink it without keeling over then you can bring it on board. Anyone who needs more than 100ml of perfume or deodorant or anything else you can't drink on a flight has other issues which need to be addressed.

The *really* stupid thing is that *if* Joe Terrorist wanted to blow up a plane, he could just as easily sit at the end of the runway with a BFG (ref: Doom) and shoot at the fuel tanks of whatever went overhead and then drive off into the sunset. Stopping the 99.999% of ordinary passangers who like to drink water on their flight without taking out an overdraft from doing so achieves very little to add to the safety of air travel.

I have an idea that I have seen water fountains in Pier B (the roundie bit) previously, but since I brought my own water with me I never used them.

I have some respect for the screeners in Dublin airport, but the EU regulations (100ml limit) just make me think of the Hale & Pace characters Ron & Ron the bouncers . . . "We are de Management"

I flew with Ryanair last week and their charge for a soft drink was exhorbitant. Before anyone asks did I check the price before ordering . . . yes. I didn't check the size because I assumed it was going to be a normal 330ml can or 250ml perhaps. It was something tiny like 125ml - barely a gulp. The price was OK given the environment, the volume was unacceptably low for the given price.

z

Will try an empty bottle on Monday and report. Couldn't remember a water fountain (or even a water foundation) in Pier B, but now that someone has mentioned it I seem to recall one round the back of the central core, near the toilets. Anyway, will report during the week if I remember it.

I have travelled several times since the ban and it is sort of laughable really, the serious way that the security bods confiscate what are clearly bottles of water, shampoo etc.

I know it borders on the conspiracy theory, but it must cross the minds of retailers airside that it is now open season on prices of bottled water.

I do recall a travelling companion pointing out to me about two months ago that she was not allowed to take a pair of nail scissors through, but that the same nail scissors was on sale inside the secure area as part of a manicure set. Maybe the one inside had been slightly blunted to render it useless for hijacking the aer arann flight to Cork!

Have to agree with Zag that it's an incredibly stupid security measure. IMHO it's an unacceptable trade-off from a security, economic and personal freedom point of view. Think about all the liquid you can purchase once you're through security. That had to get through somehow. Should a terrorist really want to use liquid explosives to bring down a plane, then he would simply target that channel to get his liquid explosives through. Can't be too hard to bribe or blackmail someone involved in supplying the airside shops (or just smuggle it in yourself). But as Zag pointed out, there are plenty of even easier ways to bring down a plane.

It didn't surprise me that the securocrats in the UK government pushed to introduce such measures. But I'm really disapointed that all the other EU states agreed so easily to these ludicrous measures.

OK rant over. AFAIR water was always expensive in DUB. €1.60 seems to be the cheapest price in the newsagents for a 500 ml bottle. The best deal I've found is in the duty free just after the security screening. You can get a 750 ml bottle of River Rock (from Coca Cola) for €1.85 if my memory serves me correctly. You need to show your boarding pass to purchase it as it's the duty free shop (another example of the farcicial nature of air travel these days).

Now does anyone know where you can buy cheap 100ml plastic containers? You are entitled to bring five such containers full of water through security (as long as it's in the plastic bag and fits into your hand luggage).

Went to Boston recently and having gone through security in Dublin we bought bottles of water and got on the plane to stop off at Shannon to go through the American security.

When we were leaving the plane we were told to take all our hand luggage with us so our barely untouched bottles of water came with us.

However when we were getting back on to travel to Boston we were told we could not bring the the bottles of water with us.

We were sold the water at Dublin Airport and thought since we had been through security it was okay to take it on the flight.

Persius, Boots sell empty little bottles (I think they are approx 100ml) in their bathroom sections....
A relative just flew to the US from Dublin last week, and he told me that a lot of travellers who were flying onto other destinations in the US had their duty free impounded in the US... so you can get through security in Dublin, buy your duty free and then when you get to the states and want to get your plane to Miami / san fran / dallas they won't let you take the drink with you! I found that silly as you are in a security area for the duration if you are in transit!
I don't mean to sound flippant, but if / when there is another strike against the US I doubt it will be aircraft.... Trains and metro were the UK / Spain targets after all.

I'm all for security, as are most people, but this measure seems so senseless and miserable. I'm going to get onto the DAA and Minister for transport.

People, if you feel so strongly please complain and protest!

I'm all for security, as are most people, but this measure seems so senseless and miserable. I'm going to get onto the DAA and Minister for transport.

People, if you feel so strongly please complain and protest!

Not much they can do I am afraid. It is a European requirement not something that the DAA and Minister thought up over lunch. I agree that they are crazy measures though. Out of interest, what has happened to those people arrested in London over the so-called liquid bombs that started this madness? (not very related to the price of water in Dublin Airport I have to admit)

Back