Previous tenants owing me money!

D

dazzagh

Hi all,

First time here and first post - I need help!!

In 2002 I moved into a house sharing with 3 others. They all moved out and I got new Tenants to move in, in September 2002. They did so, and through my own stupid fault, I had all the bills in my name and I didn't change them out of it.

They moved out in February 2003 - actually were asked to leave - and left me with considerable debts on ESB, Eircom, NTL and Gas. Because they're in my name I didn't know who was responsible.

Since then, the Landlady (a garda) sold the house meaning it's not in her name, and I've been apying off these bills to keep the solicitors off my back.

Bearing in mind that it's been over a year since they left the house, is there anything I can do? Do I have any legal right in this situation, and if so, how would I go about recovering the money?

Or have I screwed myself totally?

Any and all advice very welcome.

Thanks

D

bills

I know it's no help now, but did you get a deposit from these people?

Re: bills

Thanks for the reply :)

Got the deposit - to the tune of about 200 quid each (there were 2 of them), but they left bills between them to the tune of over 2,400 Euro!

So you can see why I'm slightly peeved.

So why do nothing about it until now? Well I felt silly, and only discovered this site today!

sorry to hear about your troubles, if you just leave these debts there it will blacken your name for when you get another place and want to intall tehse services

any chance of tracking these people down?

bills

Hi dazzagh,

Sorry to hear of your problem.

Im afraid Im not a bearer of good news as I was in a similiar situation (with one bill that was in my name) and ended up paying.

I assume youve contacted the tenants has the relationship completely deteriorated there or are they approachable, maybe you can appeal to their better nature even at this late stage?

Have you contacted each of the bill issuers and explained the situation?

Im afraid with your name on the bill you dont have much of a legal standing.

Sorry.
cas.

Do your calculations;
Check your agreements;
Write to each for their share.

If they fail to pay:

Small claims court is your man,

They are terribly helpful and no legal fees.

On you go!

Small Claims Court can't help on this stuff;

From [broken link removed]

To be eligible to use the procedure, you, the "consumer" must have bought the goods or services (or the service) for private use from someone selling them in the course of business.

Pay up!

You have no choice but to pay up, regardless of whether or not you manage to squeeze the money back from your ex housemates. I got quite badly stung by somebody on this a few years ago, the money was slightly more when I took into account the amount I lost on the deposit, plus a couple of occasions where I "loaned" them their share of the rent so I would not be evicted with them. In the end, including a €737 phone bills, losing the deposit worth about €1000, and a couple of months rent loaned and never paid back, I was looking at about €3000. Its a hard lesson that helped ruin me financially and has wrecked my credit rating for the next few years, but sometimes you have to learn the hard way. (I always warn people going into a houseshare situation not to be fooled by lower rents into thinking that its cheaper - its not, it can be a highly costly experience.)

Back