Predictions for Play-offs

Unbeaten in the qualifiers sounds good until i heard the breakdown
4 wins 6 draws... anywho is trap finished of we dont qualify? Or has he a longer contract?

The coach is a hard one to figure because he has gotten France to 1 of only 2 world cup finals in the countries history and away from home at that. Something like 6 champions league players didn't make the French squad so they do have an abundance of talent and like alot og the major teams they seem to make hard work of the qualifiers but always manage to do just enough. Hopefully they will fall short this time and we are arguing about how far we can go in the Summer on thursday.

The way tactics dominate football these days I would say Traps tactics will be to play it tight and try to keep France from scoring in the first hour

Did he not do this in the first half ?. It seemed to me that they backed off right from the second half which gave the ball to the French to play around it.

However, I could be completely wrong.:confused:

Did he not do this in the first half ?. It seemed to me that they backed off right from the second half which gave the ball to the French to play around it.

However, I could be completely wrong.:confused:

I felt that the legs tired and the French stepped up a gear. The French fullbacks got forward more which meant that Duff and Lawrence could not tuck in and cover.

The fact that Whelan and Andrews were not replaced shows that Trap does not trust Gibson or Miller. Our centre mid ran their legs off and should have been changed after 70 minutes. In fact, I would have left Doyle on and brought on Gibson for either one of them. Doyle is always a threat.

The mentality of both teams in first 45 minutes will be interesting. I think we'll have a go and just might sneak one in first half then its back to all square with our goals counting double therefter, the first leg centre back partnership for france is broken up with Abidals injury which is a small bonus. I would assume that the Irish lads will be up for it, wouldn't you if one of the french midfielder told you to "**** off you Irish Prick you are Finished"

I felt that the legs tired and the French stepped up a gear. The French fullbacks got forward more which meant that Duff and Lawrence could not tuck in and cover.

The fact that Whelan and Andrews were not replaced shows that Trap does not trust Gibson or Miller. Our centre mid ran their legs off and should have been changed after 70 minutes. In fact, I would have left Doyle on and brought on Gibson for either one of them. Doyle is always a threat.

Miller was injured and pulled out of squad about 4 days before the game.

Miller was injured and pulled out of squad about 4 days before the game.

My bad. I forgot that.

Still feel Gibson will get a run though. The centre mid just don't have the legs for 90 minutes. They give it their all and nobody could expect them to keep going for 90 at that pace.

The tactics are paramount.
Trapp and Tardelli will be aware that if they concede a goal,then Ireland will need to score twice.If that were to happen and caution was thrown to the wind in trying to score,we could get a hiding.That is the last thing Trapp and co. want with their big contracts.I feel they might settle for an honourable draw or narrow defeat.
I believe that Ireland will be very defensive and won`t make headway beyond midfield...France will be the same...so that even though we will have plenty of possesion we`ll never really threaten.Our only hope is from corners with Dunne and O Shea.If it is 0-0 going into the last 10 minutes I hope caution is thrown to the wind...only problem is the legs will have gone by then.

Duff to earn a questionable free in the 11th Minute. Lawrence to thump it in, after a bit of pinball, Doyle to get a leg on it. (1-1 Agg)

Mcgeady on in second half and to dazzle the French with a run that sees him beat 3 players (although 2 of them are Lassana Diarra - He enjoyed beating him so much the first time, he went back and beat him again) before threading a ball that at first seems like a hospital pass, but Whelan cracks it into the bottom corner. (1-2 Agg)

Be Positive People! Come on the Boys!

I am praying that we do it, but if I had to put my own money on it, I'd go for a 1-0 or 2-0 to France.

We will have to do a lot of chasing as France will have most of the possession since they don't really have to attack and may be content to just hold on to it.

As a result, I think that some of our players will tire earlier than they did at Croker, and that was between 50min and 60min:eek:

But if we get the early goal then hopefully the Incredible Sulks will start to panic and fall apart. Read that Ireland have a massive amount of fans heading over - lets hope many can get in a create a great atmosphere for the boys.

I think stick on McGeady and Hunt. Let them run the knackers out of the French wings and defence. Then bring Duff and Laurence on around the 60 minute mark to win and score from edge of the box frees.

As for the fans, France think there is only 5000 going to be there from Ireland, that may be so but they forget about all the Irish in Europe, stadium will be jammed.

Come on Ireland!!

We certainly have a chance - theres only 1 goal in it - its going to be a nightmare to watch tonight!!!!!

Lets hope the team are prepared for a penalty shootout. I hope we've learned a lesson from Japan 2002 - you have to prepare for penalties i.e. the coach should know who the 5 penalty takers are in advance rather than looking for volunteers AND the goalkeeper should have viewed footage of all the French players taking penalties so he knows their tendacies. I'd hate to see us caught out again due to a lack of preparation.

We will score first but be beaten 1-2 in Croker

In France we will heroically draw 1-1 with us pushing all the way in the final 10 mins to try get extra time.

Don't suppose there was much chance of a Green Army in SA with the recession. Can't see the Credit Union giving Jockser 10 grand for a kitchen next June :)

Congrats....You had the best predicton...only thing wrong is we got beaten 0-1 in croker.Also got the "heroically" part right.

Caution to the wind? You must be joking.

The way tactics dominate football these days I would say Traps tactics will be to play it tight and try to keep France from scoring in the first hour.

Then, and only then, will be maybe open up a little in the hope of scoring the away goal.

If he opens up from the start and they concede an early goal, its over, and thats the logic that EVERY manager in the world would employ.

Do you know any team/country/manager anywhere who would start Wed nights game going gung-ho ?

I can't think of one.

well isnt it odd that of all the managers on Gods Green earth ours didnt employ that philosophy as I correctly predicted.
The team were allowed to play, and what a spectacle it produced, for a man that talks alot about the game you clearly know very little about it.

Back