Health Insurance Pre existing Illness pregnancy

Rainbow123

Hi, hoping someone can help. I'm currently pregnant and was considering going for private care. I have health insurance with laya which has good enough cover. My question is I will be having a c section as I had cervical cancer 10 years ago but as I've only had health insurance for 4 years I'm concerned the insurance company will consider this as a pre existing Illness and therefore not cover me for the c section etc? Anyone have any ideas? Thanks for any help!

It won't be a problem but ring them if you want to put your mind at ease. They won't even care why you needed the C Section. It is a medical decision related to your pregnancy. Could be numerous decisions why people have c sections.

Thanks for the replies. Think I'll just have to ring them. Was afraid once I tell them of the cervical cancer they will just use it as a reason to not cover me!

I have two sisters and others in the VHI etc who were under an illusion because they were private things would be better. This doesn’t work like that in Ireland. It makes zero difference as far as I’m told by those who went through it. So stop worrying.

Last edited:
Congrats on being pregnant. Whether you are covered or not I would advise against private maternity care - if you are in a public hospital you will be well monitored because of your history and there is always a consultant there. I have known cases of private patients whose consultant did not come in because they were due to deliver in the the middle of the night. In a public hospital someone will look after you. Regarding the wait time you should clarify the position with Laya - did they ask on the form you filled in if you had previous illness. As you have now served four years it would be good to clear it up in case they try to start the wait time from when they are notified. Good luck!

There is a one year waiting period for maternity cover. The C Section is covered under your maternity cover. The Cervical Cancer is not relevant to a maternity claim. I would echo the private and public thing. I have done both. Went private for the first and public for the second. Going private just wasn't worth it. However if it is your first and understand with your history why you would be nervous, then by all means go down the private route. Just don't expect gold plated service. Best of luck anyway.

Back