Post ill health retirement

Jody

Looking for some guidance please. PS who can retire at 60 but now 9 years early it looks like ill health retirement will happen. The next few years hopefully will be them up with surgeries treatments etc but what if I get better, stay well enough to possibly work 2 days a week ... can I do that ? Mentally and financially the decision to ER is huge but I although I can't do that job again I would like to think i could do something in the future. I can't bring myself to the prospect that if I survive this I can never work again

1, If you retire on grounds of ill health (and a doctor will inform your employer that you won’t ever be fit to carry the full range of duties) there is no way back. However, you would be entitled to added years for your pension.
2. If you don’t wish to retire because of ill health some lighter duties and a shorter working week might be made available to you. This is something you’d have to raise with your employer.

Thanks Leper, my job unfortunately does not facilitate changes like that for hours or job movement. So technically I can't do my current job again

But what in the future I was able to say work in am office for a day or a coffee shop for interaction, purpose and a few quid .. can I ever ?

Depending on the issue, health and safety lsgislation and disability legislation may be of assistance.

It is a very general point and may not be applicable but there are circumstances where your emplaoyer may need to make a reasonable accommodation to allow you to continue to work. Also under H&S legislation you can refuse to do work that will cause you injury. Your health also includes your mental helath.

Thanks Leper, my job unfortunately does not facilitate changes like that for hours or job movement. So technically I can't do my current job again

But what in the future I was able to say work in am office for a day or a coffee shop for interaction, purpose and a few quid .. can I ever ?
Outside of the public/civil service you may be entitled to apply for work after being retired on grounds of ill health. This could affect any social welfare awards to you. Your new employer would have to be informed of your situation too.

Please note I am not trying to strew obstacles in your way. I hope you make a full recovery.

If it means you leave, take an early pension etc then it may depend on the wording of your pension scheme docs. if there is critical illness cover, either via your employer or personal one, it will depend on the wording of that scheme as well.

If you're in the PS I assume that the CMO would be involved in any early retirement application, so it might be worth asking that question of your your Union Head Office. (I don't know if it's possible to contact the CMO directly, but maybe your HR section could make an enquiry for you.)

Have a look here: https://cmo.gov.ie/ill-health-retirements/

Many many thanks for the replies. The operation is so serious I just can't do a uniformed position again. I'll health retirement is the likely outcome but in the hope of better mobility and recovery I would love to think I could take up a new job somewhere down the road...firstly I wasn't sure if I was allowed. I thought I might lose any SW but not pension pay ... regardless I guess I was unhappy at closing the employment door forever ... too young !

Jody, it might be worth exploring other roles with your employer. EDI has become a buzz word in the public sector, but it should allow you the tools to get back into the workplace. While you mentioned uniformed roles, all organisations have back office roles that perhaps with training and support you could transition into.

Many many thanks for the replies. The operation is so serious I just can't do a uniformed position again. I'll health retirement is the likely outcome but in the hope of better mobility and recovery I would love to think I could take up a new job somewhere down the road...firstly I wasn't sure if I was allowed. I thought I might lose any SW but not pension pay ... regardless I guess I was unhappy at closing the employment door forever ... too young !
I do not have the advice you seek, but just to say I would also feel how you feel. I have neck, back and eye issues and need to cop on with my approach to work as I am 50 but have to work until 65. I write this because mentally 'my work role' often feels like my life. Without this work, I have limited interactions that I enjoy. I am Neurodiverse so maybe that accounts for my 'thinking'. I also have no children / partner so know I need to be responsible for myself.

I have had a colleague who was really 'into her work role'. She had an accident and was forced into early retirement. Salary protection worked out, surgeries were carried out..however the return door to paid teaching was closed forever, even examination work with the SEC. Once she recovered, she didn't stop 'being a teacher' . She has since found so many diverse roles (unpaid because of salary protection issues) that require leadership, creative engagement and many of the key skills that are who she is. It wasn't an easy road, but physically she got there. Mentally it took a while to find her feet. Now I am in awe of all the areas that she adds value to society and feeds her 'need' to keep going. Busier now than before.

I hope the road ahead goes well for you Jody. There is an app I use called "Focusmate" (it is body doubling) that could be helpful if you will have a long road of Physio or other accountability tasks to do, or even just to 'schedule' in times during the day, if giving a day structure could be useful.

Back