Post 1995 Supplementary pension query

To be clear. It’s not the “dole”, it’s Jobseekers. And in most cases the sign-on is once a year. Hardly a major embarrassment.
I think you've missed the point of the whole discussion here. You are obliged to sign on every week for 9 months. Can only take 2 weeks leave and MUST BE LOOKING FOR WORK....OTHERWISE ITS FRAUD!
So having put people away for fraud, now every class A Garda is now going to commit fraud!.

Only in Ireland would they come up with that idea. How to criminalise retired Garda. That's is why it has now been changed and it's straight onto supplementary. The next trap is if you work you lose the supplementary too! Hence my point of public sector staff now working for cash in hand, not cause they want to but are forced into it, at a time of staff shortages nationally!

Its irrelevant , as of August the supplementary pension is paid along with the work pension .
That is correct, but originally if you signed on for 9 months you actually got more! Could be over 2 grand more for some!. Also you will need to get the stamps paid every year by the state to ensure you get the correct state pension amount at 66!. So everyone including Garda still have to sign on once a year. Dont miss it!

But that might only apply to A Class contributors - post 1995 recruits - who have a potential expectation of a State Pension. Those pre1995 B Class contributors do not get a State Pension (unless they accumulate sufficient A Contributions after leaving the force by taking up A class employment ), so “B credits” are worthless, at least in relation to the State Pension.

Tens of thousands of Class A Garda and other public servants will be retiring in the next few years and will be experiencing this chaotic system. FYI pre 95 are Class D most of these have already retired! A friend, who works for the civil service in the UK, advised they are treating our pension as a benefit! i.e. it's means tested it's not an entitlement at the end of your retirement, it should not be called a 'supplementary pension', but a 'supplementary benefit' and be paid by social welfare not by your employers pension department!. I'd love to know who came up with this scheme?, and why our unions agreed to it!

Last edited:
I think this is a could evolve into a class action against the government, who introduced this scheme to all government departments. Retirees pensions are no longer calculated on your years of service, but on your decision to continue to work after retirement, if this is not an infringement on your civil right I don't know what is. You are penalised by your previous employer should you decided to eventually take up part time employment! How ridiculous is that! So many things can happen, if you take up work to get you out of the house? If you become self employed?, if you move abroad and work does that affect your pension? At the end of your career you pension is your pension, there should be no strings attached! Perhaps our unions should take this case up through the courts on our behalf!

There are many nurses who have retired early and would like to work part time in care homes and provide home care can't do it. Because they may lose the supplementary pension. The country is crying out for these staff and care homes are shutting down because they can't get staff and the elderly are being left without care and end up in hospital! So the consequences of these rules are far reaching!

Alas, some unions are happy to sacrifice the benefits and conditions for future members, for a marginal increase in benefit for the current members.
If a bit of common sense prevailed and the retired person did not have the supplementary pension deducted by being employed after they leave public service the taxman would actually be better off as a person would most likely hit the top rate of PAYE , they would also pay USC and contribute back into PRSI also .
Would you got to work if retired from the public sector as under the current rules the first 250 or so as you earn would effectively be working for free as you would get that much by not working in the first place .
Plenty of employers out there would love some of the skills that former public sector workers have to offer.

You should have been complaining and fighting this when it was introduced.
By continuing to work in the PS you agreed to all this by acquiescence.

Or you could have resigned in protest and taken up employment in the private sector.
Then you would now be complaining that the government raided your pension funds over a five year period.

I will be retiring soon enough and find the whole system ridiculous! I feel like after all the years I've worked I'm not entitled to my pension free and clear. I'd love to go working part time or perhaps take up something new but it seems like if you do, the pension you worked for all your life will be reduced. It doesn't seem right to me.

Just curious, I read here somewhere that after you retire with your integrated pension you need to sign on for PRSI credits once a year? I'll be 63 at retirement. How do you go about doing that?

thanks

Hi i 1st you need to get a public service card - https://www.gov.ie/en/service/make-...-service-number-ppsn-application-appointment/, and yes i am retired post 1995, over 2 yrs & whole system is a farce and could stress you so be careful.
once you have PSC need to go to your local intreo centre to say you wish to sign for jobseekers credits the day before you retire, i am a retired garda and am still signing for jobseekers credits until i reach 66!
You should throw it all back on your HR Dept to explain the process, although i would be suprised if they have any idea, but anyhow get the public service card 1st and bet of luck in retirement