Possible scam warning around Abbey shares

dobrien64

I have a small shareholding in AbbeyPLC.

A very persistent caller eventually got me on the phone this evening.

In a foreign accent (Nigerian?) the caller said that he was calling on behalf of a New York company whose client was interested in taking a majority holding in AbbeyPLC. Indicating that an offer of 7 to 15 pounds sterling per share would be made, he enquired if I was interested in selling. I said that I wasn't prepared to say. He tried the pressure tactic of saying that other shareholders were signing up fast, indicating that if I hesitated I might lose out cos anyone not in the first 51% will lose out, i.e. the remaining 49% will be deemed worthless. He looked for an email address which I declined to give, saying that he could send it to my home address which I presumed he had access to, given that he knew I was on the Abbey share register. He would have continued to speak if I hadn't told him I was busy and had to go.

Any correspondence that I have had relating to my other shareholdings have always been done by snail mail, or email in the past - never by phone. This approach is what put me on alert in the first place!

Anyone else have this experience?

Interesting - definitely a scam.

The share register is a public document, so presumably he got your phone number out of the phone book having found your address on the share register.

Not sure how the scam would work though. I presume you would have to pay some money up front to take advantage of the deal.

You did the right thing.

Back