Portugal

K

keen

Hi i am going on hols to portugal for one week from 21 to 28 august, i have not booked any accomm yet, flying into Faro, could anyone recommend a good hotel, location for my husband, my son aged 6 and myself. Preferably looking for child friendly hotel that would be lively and an area where we would have lots to do. We will be hiring a car

Did you ever take up any of the recommendations offered to you re your trip to Nice last year?

I'd recommend Alvor in the Western Algarve. Great beach, lots of nice restaurants, lovely atmosphere.

Alvor is terrific and the food is fantastic-- but it is not the liveliest spot

What has that got to do with the present query

Last year the OP asked about Nice. She got lots of replies, helpful advice, links etc, but not as much as an acknowledgement to anyone who assisted. Similar to other queries. Why should anyone bother with helping out with the Portugal query?

AAM is about giving, not just taking. If we were all to take from AAM and not give it wouldn't be much use.

+1 SlugBreath

To be honest, I think that's a bit on the harsh side. While I agree that there has to be some give and take, the OP is not a prime example of someone who is abusing the website.

After reading your post, I went through her history and she has only posted 5 queries over a four year period. The first time she posted, she thanked people for their responses. She also replied to one query from another poster.

It's nice to receive an acknowledgment when you have tried to be help someone and I always try to do so, but probably forget sometimes. It's not as if the OP is constantly posting queries, never acknowledging responses and only making negative comments when responding to other queries. So give her a break, please.

Cabanas de Tavira is a beautiful little place you could stay, we paid 30 euro a night for a very cute apart-hotel that was simple enough but pretty and had everything we needed. The bigger town of Tavira a few kilometres away has lots to see and do, great restaurants, historic monuments, shopping centre etc. Would really recommend the area.

+1 SlugBreath

There are some regular posters that do this all the time.

Even the title of the thread says "Portugal". The bare minimum. It's a big place. I would do a bit of research on Tripadvisor, maybe have a look at a map, narrow down the options. Then ask the question.

we have stayed in tivoli marine apartments for a few yrs now, its right on the beach in praia da rocha, has 2 pools but no kids club( we have a toddler) its near portimao which is 40 mins from faro.

as other people suggested have a look at trip advisor or have a look at holiday brochures to get an idea of what resort you d like, stein travel is who we booked through

Thankssssssssssssssssssssss

Thanks guys for all your help. Sorry for not acknowledging previously. I do use Tripadvisor,that is where i do most of my research but it is always nice to get other views as well. The postings i received about Nice last year were very helpful.
Thanks again .

Hi, I'm biased as I have rental interests in Portugal. I've been holidaying there for 40 years, I retired 4 years ago and bought a couple of properties there. Albufeira, is definitely the place to go. If you are in your 20s or 30s then the strip (Montechoro) is for you. If it's for family, then, closer to the oldtown. If you need to know more, feel free to make contact.

Is there a local bus that goes from the train station in Albufeira in to the town? I understand that the train station and town are quite a distance apart?
Clint

The train station is actually in Ferrerias, about 5 kilometers. Your best bet is by taxi at about €5. I'm sure there is a bus service, probable cost €2/€3.

I have been going to Alvor for the past 3 years and love it.. it is very safe the beach is beautiful, people are friendly and the food is great... hope you enjoy

meant to say that if you google the Dom Jaoa villa; beautiful place to stay right on the beach...

Strongly recommend renting an apartment in Oasis Parque which is about 7 minutes drive from the centre of Alvor. It's a fairly luxurious complex that is very child-friendly; chances are your son will meet up with other Irish and English kids his age around the pool area and it's secure once you're in there as it's swipe-cards only to get in and out. It's also a short trip into Alvor in the evenings for dinner and a number of beaches are very close by. Not aware of any very nice hotels smack in the middle of Alvor, but I may be wrong...

If you look up any of the rental websites or just google Oasis Parque there's a number of apt owners who rent out and at this stage I'd advise you to haggle.