Planning query

lyonsa3

Hi,
I currently looking to buy a site in west Waterford to build a family home and I’ve a few queries on the planning side of things.
First of all, can I arrange a meeting with a planning officer just to discuss what areas would be looked on favourably for my planning requirements? Or do I need to have a specific site in mind. If I do need to have a specific site, do I need to have a sale agreed (subject to planning) on the site, for the planning officer to meet with me.
Sorry about all the questions but I finding it very hard to get the information together.
Last question; do I need to have a percolation test on the site before applying for full planning permission only (I intend to look for outline planning first).

So if anybody out there has had a meeting with a Planning Officer before buying a site to discuss options available to them, I'd appreciate hearing how this was acheived.

Percolation tests need only be done when required by Planning.
(i.e. half way through your application for Permission process, they'll ask for additional information).

I don't believe you need to have a sale agreed on a site - for the simple fact that they don't look into the site in that much detail.
Most pre-planning enquiries are of the "I'm looking to build this here" and then a discussion.

The Planner may (if (s)he has a lot of spare time be able to discuss areas with you. Personally I'd suggest bringing maps, photos etc. of a favourite site with you and if that doesn't go well then discuss areas that might suit.

Also I wonder how busy Planners in Waterford are. Some LA's are not in a position to take on any pre-planning enquiries due to current workloads.

In our area they have public planning meetings. You just queue up and go in and they have no idea what you want to talk about untill you are sitting in front of them. See if this is the case where you are and then anything is possible.
You do not have to have rights to the site to talk to the planners. Most potential purchasers talk to planners before even putting on an offer.

Back