Planning Permission missing

Bgirl

I can not find the original planning premission for my parents house which we are selling. It is not with the deeds. The house is sold and contracts are due to exchange but this will now hold things up. The house was built pre 1970. Does anyone know what I can do.
[broken link removed]

How long 'pre 1970' was it built? 1963 saw the introduction of the first planning act. No planning permission prior to this.

County Councils are always losing planning permissions.
For example house was built pre 63 didnt have PP then an extension was built in 1980 which did require PP.
You are selling house and ask the council for a copy of the PP for the extension and they've lost it, but know they gave PP for somthing at some stage.
Once you get a letter from them saying its lost then most solicitors will let their client go ahead with the purchase.

I dont know if you can get them to give you a new backdated PP though.

In any event (under the new Planning Acts) even if there was never any permission obtained for the house no proceedings can issue in respect of a development after 7 years from the date of the commencement of the development.
Of course the development would still be an unauthorised development but there is nothing anybody can do about it.

In lots of cases for old houses (30+ years) in the countryside purchasing solicitors or banks will be a real pain in the neck looking for engineers certs, compliance notices, receipts, permission etc when it is in fact totally irrelevant to the purchaser.

Hi There , I am a FTB and I have a similar situation , our contracts are signed and the Vendor has Deeds but it is not registered , I have found out that you can proceed on sale with a legal undertaking that your solicitor will engage to have the property registered , most of the banks will accept this for the purchaser. All then you need to do along with the new purchaser is declare a fffidifit in a court and it will issue a notice in newspaper for 3 monts inviting anybody with a cliam to submit. If no legally valid claims come forwward then you are issues a first registration. Go ahead speak to your solicitor and close the deal. Good luck - FTB

Back