Piercing babies ears

DaveD

Could anyone please explain to me why someone would pierce a baby's ears? I saw this happen today in the window of a Claire's Accessories shop and found it difficult to comprehend why a a parent would think it acceptable to firstly put the baby through the unnecessary pain and secondly that they are entitled to make the decision to permanently "modify" the baby's body, albeit in a minor way.

As as aside from the stupidity of some parents, is it legal for them to do this, or for a shop to do it to a baby?

I hear you...

My friend did it to her 2 yr old recently. Little one screamed beyond belief!!! I said dont do it cause the child would be screaming. Her answer was "she`ll thank me in a few years"..!! And to make matters worse when the 2nd ear had to be done the child went balistic.. I was going mad over it but what could i do? :mad:

I`m well against it!!!

Could anyone please explain to me why someone would pierce a baby's ears? I saw this happen today in the window of a Claire's Accessories shop and found it difficult to comprehend why a a parent would think it acceptable to firstly put the baby through the unnecessary pain and secondly that they are entitled to make the decision to permanently "modify" the baby's body, albeit in a minor way.

As as aside from the stupidity of some parents, is it legal for them to do this, or for a shop to do it to a baby?

Cheap, tacky, selfish, ugly and cruel.

funny just had a conversation about this yesterday

My mother got mine pierced when I was 10 weeks old :eek: (27 years ago I might add!) She said she was so upset watching me get them done she had to hand me to my aunt to hold.

She also admits that while she thought it was great at the time if she had babies now she would never in a million years get their ears pierced because it looks so common (not because of the cruelty to children I noted :rolleyes: )

Have to admit I am glad mine were pierced as a child because I would be far too squeamish now to get them done!

Oh and if I ever have kids they will not be getting their ears pierced until they are old enough to make their own minds up about it

ok so are ye people saying my friends are knackers and scangers??? They always say if you want to know me look at my friends.. (well it goes something like that anyway... never mind)

No smart comments Elefantfresh!!!!!!!

ok so are ye people saying my friends are knackers and scangers??? They always say if you want to know me look at my friends.. (well it goes something like that anyway... never mind)

No smart comments Elefantfresh!!!!!!!
I didn't say they were scangers ;)

Saw a young lad of no more than a year with an ear piercing the other day. I'd never really thought about it till that moment but surely causing unnecessary pain to a child would be catagorised as child abuse. And blatently in public to boot.

And i don't think that is an overreaction.

It is not right and should be banned.

Probably the new generation of women who read trash like OK, Hello et al and think that Jordan is the perfect role model for women.

It should be like tattoos - you aren't allowed them until 16 (I think) and only then when YOU decide yourself, not anybody else.

That's mental !!!!

The person in the shop is equally culpable and should have know better !

I'm disgusted !

To the gallows with them both !!!

.... and think that Jordan is the perfect role model for women..

...woah now hang on a second..... whats wrong with Jordan..... leave her alone... go pick on Nell McCafferty or someone else instead

...difficult to comprehend why a a parent would think it acceptable to firstly put the baby through the unnecessary pain and secondly that they are entitled to make the decision to permanently "modify" the baby's body, albeit in a minor way.

It should be like tattoos - you aren't allowed them until 16 (I think) and only then when YOU decide yourself, not anybody else.

Question 1 , Since the vast majority of women have it done eventually, does having it done while young make it easier than having it done while older ?

Question 2,

What about circumcision ? Circumcision strikes me as a hugely barbaric, unnecessary and backward practice which has resulted in complications and permanent accidents yet I have never heard anyone speak out against this.

What about circumcision ? Circumcision strikes me as a hugely barbaric, unnecessary and backward practice which has resulted in complications and permanent accidents yet I have never heard anyone speak out against this.
Are you honestly saying that you have never heard anybody speaking out against this female or male circumcision? In particular perpetrated against those who cannot make an informed choice (babies or other minors)? :confused:

Back