Permanent TSB and ATMs

Himself

I am thinking of switching to a Permanent TSB bank account but I am worried about ATM access. Are there any other Permanent TSB customers out there who used to bank with one of the bigger players, and have found that they have significantly less access to ATMs than before?

Thanks.

i thought that ptsb were big just like boi, aib and so on. ptsb always seem to go on about how they are one of the largest banks in this country. their atm network shouldn't be a problem.

I have never come across an ATM that I could not use my PTSB card in in the 10+ years I've been with them.

You can use your PTSB ATM card in any ATM in Ireland, except possibly some of the ATMs of the smaller Building Societies. Been using mine now for 9 years with no access problems.

Great. Just what I wanted to hear. From now on I will take everything I read on a bank's promotional literature at face value :D

for a while i banked with ptsb and i was able to use their card in several different atm machines, all owned by different banks.

Alex.

What about using the card abroad? It's just been pointed out for me it doesn't have Cirrus :(

Actually I just rang Open24 and was told the ATM cards cannot be used abroad you need Visa or Laser :(

Ive used my laser/atm abroad in machines - no problem.It will have the Cirrus arking on reverse of the card.

D

kazbah said:
Actually I just rang Open24 and was told the ATM cards cannot be used abroad you need Visa or Laser :(
If you have [broken link removed] then you can use them abroad.

ClubMan said:
If you have [broken link removed] then you can use them abroad.

According to open24 ATM cards (without laser which is what I have) are not usuable abroad there is no cirrus, maestro, plus etc on it :(

Or Plus+ but PTSB only do Cirrus as far as I know and that's what this thread is about.

kazbah said:
According to open24 ATM cards (without laser which is what I have) are not usuable abroad there is no cirrus, maestro, plus etc on it :(
Yes - that's correct. Note that Laser is useless abroad too. It's the Cirrus/Plus+/Maestro that matters. Why not just apply for Cirrus on your card if you need it?

ClubMan said:
Yes - that's correct. Note that Laser is useless abroad too. It's the Cirrus/Plus+/Maestro that matters. Why not just apply for Cirrus on your card if you need it?

they don't do it - only on laser cards - so I will stick to withdrawing off Visa abroad. If you lodge money to your account first you will avoid cash advance fees. I'm not paying for a laser card I don't need just for this facility...

Fair enough - I didn't know that they bundled Laser and Cirrus rather than providing them separately. I presume you mean that you don't want to pay an additional stamp duty charge and/or card renewal fee (if applicable)? For what it's worth I find Laser (haven't actually used Cirrus at all since they unilaterally added it to my card about a year ago) really handy but I guess some people might not find it as useful or worth the charge. Note that non € cash withdrawals (not advances) are subject to a 1.75% foreign exchange fee but this is still usually competitive with alternatives (e.g. travellers cheques, cash exchange etc.).

Back