pensions and topping up

seánieboy

hello,
Ive been listening on the media for some time now about pensions and how they could benefit a person if one was on 42% tax rate well im on that rate and havent a clue where or how to start researching the subject there is so much to take in and it all seems to be in legalesse language and making not much sense to the working man. I myself am in the defence forces for 20 years now and next year i can go out on a 21 year pension.

For me to leave next year i would approximately get €250 a week and if i stayed until 31 years this pension would rise to €330 a week through various increments throughout between 21 and 31 years of service.

Then at the age of 65 this 31 year pension reverts back to the 21 year rate bearing in mind that this pension is non-contributary and is indexed linked to benchmarking and other payrises. Also i would be entitled to the old age contributary pension.

The thing is that im now 37 years of age and see that this pension wont be enough to live on in years to come and i want to take out some kind of extra supplement to bring my wage up to what im getting now and taking into consideration inflation and other factors over the years the question is how or where does one go and is there a product for me out there??? Ive gone to the banks before 2004 and they said they couldnt help me as i already had a work pension on the way in the future, but its opened up now and seemingly everyone can step aboard and top up there pensions to a respectable amount of money. advice and tips would be appreciated my regards

Last edited:
Re: pensions

I know a chap in the Defence Forces who's been offered a pension in the next couple of years, he's around your age. He's going to quit the army and take his pension but he has other options available to him. He's been retraining in another area and has built up a small home business over the past couple of years which he plans to develop into a full time concern when he "retires". The small pension will get him over the initial shakey period until the business grows and he's very optimistic about the whole future. Sorry I can't give you pension advice...

hi can anyone tell me the benifits from social welfare including going to universitf for free and medical cards. after we get a defence force pension

Back