Pension lump sum calculation

Kilgobnet

Hello everybody. I was recently made redundant and am now reviewing my finances. I’m 56 years old and paid into a Defined Contribution occupational pension with the same employer for 24 years.

I’m deciding what to do with that pension but I’m not entirely clear about calculation of the tax free lump sum which I can take. I understand that I can take 25% of the current pension fund value tax free and then use the remainder to purchase an ARF or annuity (or just take it as cash, in which case it would be treated as taxable income at the higher rate). 25% is well below the €200k upper limit, so that doesn’t apply in my case.

Looking around, I also see references to 1.5 times final annual earnings as an option for the lump sum. Since I’ve not yet reached the NRA of 65, it seems that this 1.5 factor might be reduced pro-rata, using “Actual years of service”/”Years of service if working to NRA”. Even with this derating factor, the resultant lump sum would still be more than 25% of the current pension fund and I would opt for this if possible. But perhaps I can only avail of whichever is lower.

So I have a couple of questions and would be grateful for any clarification.

Is my understanding correct and am I free to choose either option, i.e. 25% of current fund vs. 1.5 times final earnings? Or am I limited to whichever turns out to be lower?

Does “final earnings” refer only to base salary or all income from that employment, including bonuses and shares? This would make a significant difference if I can avail of the option for 1.5 times final earnings.

Thanks!

Is my understanding correct and am I free to choose either option, i.e. 25% of current fund vs. 1.5 times final earnings? Or am I limited to whichever turns out to be lower?

Your understanding is correct. The 1.5 x salary method will indeed be reduced because you're not retiring at the scheme's Normal Retirement Age.
You can choose the higher of the two calculations. Broadly speaking, any income that was subject to Income Tax is allowable for the purposes of the calculation. So bonuses, Benefit in Kind payments etc., can be included.

BUT - if you choose the 1.5 x salary lump sum method of calculation, you must use any residual fund to buy an annuity. If you're thinking about drawing down now, this might not suit you. While you can shop around for best annuity rates - not just the pension scheme's - at 56 the annuity rates will be quite low unless you're in poor health now.

You can ask the pension scheme administrator to send you a Leaving Service Options letter or if you're thinking about drawing down the pension fund now, ask them for Early Retirement Options. They'll do the calculations and put actual figures on the options mentioned above.

Regards,

Liam
www.FergA.com

Back