Pension Fund Selection & Fees

Nirama

I'm a long time reader but first time poster. From reading AAM I believe I should allocate my pension fund to a world equities fund (currently in other funds, hence the post). We have forever home mortgage on a long term fixed rate (10 yrs - 9 left) and now are looking to prioritise our pensions by maximising pension contributions as mortgage is at comfortable level.

Should I (39) look to allocate all of my pension fund to world equities. Also should my partner (38) contribute to the same fund as me or should we diversify her pension into a different global fund (both our pension are with New Ireland). There are many different funds, hedged/ unhedged funds, from my untrained review the World Index Fund Unhedged is probably the best based on returns and I am aware it is high risk, but we are open to high risk as we are long term investors looking for the highest potential return. If looking at New Ireland Funds would you be inclined to invest in the World Index Fund Unhedged / Hedged or Global Equity Fund or are there other funds we should potentially be looking at too, I only found the WIF Unhedged and Hedge last week thinking the Global Equity Fund was the only world equity fund with New Ireland.

My fund is currently with New Ireland via a broker and I am paying 1.25% management charge on monthly contributions and 1.5% on lump sum contributions, both with 100% allocation (all company contributions). I’m not fully happy with my broker due to lack of service / communication. From reading AAM the fee % I’m paying seem high for the service level I’m getting. I can see there are lower fee options out there, do you think I’m right to be looking to move to a lower fee arrangement. Or should I be looking to a higher fee arrangement where I would receive a better service. I’m not adverse to paying a fee for a good service.

If you are in a work pension, and your employer contributes, then how can you leave to get a lower AMC?

The reference to “company contributions” is confusing.

If it’s an occupational (company) pension, why do you have a broker?

Sorry I should have elaborated in original post, I work in the finance department in a small company and I'm the only person with company pension other than directors. I'm free to choose where my pension is. Maybe I'm not free to leave, I have not queried this, but I assume I'm free to set up new pension.

Well, you can’t really set up your own occupational scheme but I guess you could try and persuade the Directors that there is better value/service available elsewhere.

FWIW, I think your scheme is pretty expensive.

As regards the fund where your pension is invested, I think an unhedged global index fund would make a lot of sense in your circumstances.

the World Index Fund Unhedged is probably the best based on returns and I am aware it is high risk, but we are open to high risk as we are long term investors looking for the highest potential return.
Yes, it sounds like the World Index Fund Unhedged is the right option for you.

New Ireland via a broker and I am paying 1.25% management charge on monthly contributions and 1.5% on lump sum contributions, both with 100% allocation (all company contributions)
The first thing to do is avoid making any lump sum contributions. If you can, just max out your monthly contributions.

I would consider a 0.75% annual management charge on 100% allocation to be my par for fees. Better that this is good and worse than this is expensive. However it sounds like you are a pension scheme with 1 member so that will be reflected in fees. If you are interested in lower fees, I would recommend seeking quotes from each of the MasterTrust operators.
UNIO
Irish Life
Zurich
Mercer

I don't see any issue with you moving broker or provider. I'd be amazed if the employer had an issue with it. They might even want to move themselves if they're getting the same non-service / silence from the broker/provider. I presume it's not a PRSA that you have so just be careful that there are no legacy exit charges on the funds, if moving.

If you're open to high risk, and neither of you you are going to start switching funds when markets drop, then your strategy is sound as it's, literally, until death.

Gerard

www.prsa.ie

P.S.
I’m not fully happy with my broker due to lack of service / communication.

Can you give an example or two? Just in case it's a provider issue.

Last edited:
Thank you all for feedback.

I wasn't too concerned about pension until last year when significant payments were made towards my fund. Pension fund was only set up a little over 2 years ago, it is not a PRSA fund and I believe it was transferred into a master trust at some stage in 2023.

A few reasons I'm not happy with service:
  • When making a significant lump sum last year I wasn't notified of the higher fees on lump sum payment, I only found this out when I got access to the my newireland online account.
  • I had requested funds from monthly contributions to be moved to different funds within pension and this was not complete, this was requested at face to face meeting so no paper record exists. I'm not overly concerned about the transfer not happening as I wish to change funds now to the World Index Fund Unhedged, but it doesn't give me confidence in broker around execution of requests.
  • I have heard from others that actions they have requested have not been executed in a timely manner by broker also.

Back