Peat Briquette prices

Don't mean to resurrect this thread, but I was reading this weeks local paper (Athlone/Westmeath area) and seen an ad re : fuel

Bog Na Finn Fuel Centre
Coal & Briquettes Direct to Your Door!

Polish Coal / Calco Smokeless / Black Emerald all 40kg bags all €15.95
briquettes €3.50

Special Rates on Bulk Orders
Free Delivery 8am - 8pm
Tel 090 64 *****

So, its a Midlands/Athlone area phone number - unsure if they deliver further afield.

Unsure also if I can post phone numbers!

I have NO affiliation with this crowd, have never used them, simply saw the ad on the front of the paper. Can't find any info online either.

cannot find anyone cheaper than 4.50 a bale around the Harolds Cross area. has to be cheaper places in Dublin, somewhere!!!

Just to update this, again seen an ad in the local paper for Ganlys in Athlone and Longford.

Buy 10 bales of briquettes, get two free
Buy 5 bags of coal, get one free

No prices mentioned.

Im based in Celbridge and the cheapest around here is the local fuel merchant at €4.50 a bale , the most expensive is a local Gala Shop at €6.00 a bale !!!! Needless to say , they seem to always have stock

prices can vary anywhere between the two .... Ive not found cheaper than €4.50

cannot find anyone cheaper than 4.50 a bale around the Harolds Cross area. has to be cheaper places in Dublin, somewhere!!!

Centra on the Drumartin Road in Goatstown have them at €4.25 each or 5 for €20.00.

Past Young's cross on the way to lucan from celbridge and on the right is a fuel merchant. €4 a bale here.

Browns Shop in Portlaoise on the Dublin Road have good offers on Fuel at the minute. They are currently offering 6 bales for €20 (Or were last Thursday when I passed there last). This is the cheapest I've seen this winter.

Peat briquettes are bought ex yard for around € 2.78 per bale including VAT.
Transport costs ex bog to Dublin cost around 16 cent per bale .( total outlay = € 2.94 )

So overall cost to retailer in Dublin area is around 2.94 euro per bale .

Of course depending on sales , retailer can earn rebate/cashback on annual purchases

There are 128 peat briquette bales on a pallet weighing 1.60 tonnes ( as each bale weighs .0125kgs approx .

Of course they are cheaper to buy in Portlaoise , as the transport costs are minimal .

Thanks for the breakdown, that is really good info. Just to note that although Transport costs to Portlaoise would be lower that doesn't translate into lower prices necessarily in Portlaoise. I think the average would be around €3.90 a bale. Therefore in my experience the offer in Browns in Portlaoise of 6 for €20 is still the best I have seen.

Note that I have no affiliation other than a satisfied customer and I personally think it is great to see a small business so competitive.

Anyone beat 6 for €20?

Of course they are cheaper to buy in Portlaoise , as the transport costs are minimal .

Yep, but this thread is comparing prices. Clohass is stating their local price, as did I and as did those around us.

People from outside Dublin use this forum too, ya know

I think they have put a green tax on coal and briquettes. the only way to not pay tax is to collect your wood/timber scrap

Back