Paul Mc Cartney greatest hits?

... The other point is that even though they largely wrote alone, especially in the last half of the Beatles, I think the competition and ultimate collaboration that went on in the studio improved each other's writing and songs. When solo, I think the both suffered ...
I agree that the whole was greater than the apparent sum of the parts, but I still rate Paul as an enormous talent and wish I could see him perform live(-ish, with 900 computers 6,000 midi devices and an army of techs).

The one variable / catalyst that was removed from the partnership when the Beatles broke up was George Martin whose musicianship, discipline, commercial ear and producing talent was key to their early success. All of this allied with the raw talent already in the partnership and the work-ethic they developed in Germany was an unstoppable combination.

Some of the early "give-away" songs seem difficult to reconcile with the balance of their work, for example the bossa nova rhythms of Cilla Black's Step Inside Love (attributed to McCartney but with both credited) and certainly the output of Lennon-McCartney song-writing factory did a lot to raise the profile of the "Mersey Sound" independent of their own record output. Early recorders of Beatles originals (as distinct from covers) included Billy J. Kramer & the Dakotas, Chris Barber and his Band, Peter & Gordon, P.J. Proby, Mike Shannon, The Rolling Stones and many more. Arguably this could never have happened without George Martin's influence and contacts.

My favourite Beatles quote was after the fight they had recording “Back in the USSR” on the White Album. Ringo walked out because Paul was doing most (if not all) of the drumming. They sent a telegram to him in Sardinia saying “Come back, you’re the best Rock & Roll drummer in the world”.

Later John said that he’d written the telegram and that his comment about Ringo has been an exaggeration as "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles"

I think Paul was a great song writer but what a very average singer.If he could not write song's he never would have been who he became. Even hearing him sing Hey Jude then listening to Elvis singing Hey Jude the quality of their voices is similar to Paul been in Division 2 in England and Elvis the Manu of the Premiership.
I like the Beatles and all that but voice wise Paul is average at best.

My favourite Beatles quote was after the fight they had recording “Back in the USSR” on the White Album. Ringo walked out because Paul was doing most (if not all) of the drumming. They sent a telegram to him in Sardinia saying “Come back, you’re the best Rock & Roll drummer in the world”.

Later John said that he’d written the telegram and that his comment about Ringo has been an exaggeration as "He's not even the best drummer in The Beatles"

:) Yeah had heard this.

Raises another point too - by all accounts Paul was the more proficient musician and his knowledge of the fretboard, keyboard and even drumkit gave him a very solid understanding of song dynamics and 'structure' - in fact he seemed to be a little obsessed with it. He once mentioned that Here There & Everywhere was one of his favourite compositions because "it had a beginning, a middle and an end"

Maybe John's relative shortcomings (purely as a musician) meant that he simply had to be more creative?

Having said that, Paul's favourite song on the White Album is apparently John's mercurial, rhythmically complex Happiness... which is as far away from 'structured' as The Beatles ever really got, so you never know.

Anyway, I still far prefer John's contributions :p

:) Yeah had heard this.

Raises another point too - by all accounts Paul was the more proficient musician and his knowledge of the fretboard, keyboard and even drumkit gave him a very solid understanding of song dynamics and 'structure' - in fact he seemed to be a little obsessed with it. He once mentioned that Here There & Everywhere was one of his favourite compositions because "it had a beginning, a middle and an end"

Maybe John's relative shortcomings (purely as a musician) meant that he simply had to be more creative?

Having said that, Paul's favourite song on the White Album is apparently John's mercurial, rhythmically complex Happiness... which is as far away from 'structured' as The Beatles ever really got, so you never know.

Anyway, I still far prefer John's contributions :p

I've heard the Ringo quote attributed to Paul too. Still pretty funny one. Though Ringo was genuinely a hugely talented drummer. Even though he had little to do in the recordings until the other three (and George Martin) had finished messing around with the arrangements, the fact that he could just come in for the last bit and fit in any percussion is genius. And given that at a certain point he could keep time even when he couldn't even hear the others is impressive.

Anyway, the Paul V John argument is as I say circular. My preference depends on humour and mood, just as my preference for favourite album can vary.

My one problem with Paul is that most of the Beatles history is only ever the Pauline version. He seems to have dictated how it has been recorded and documented (such as possibly stealing credit for the Ringo joke). Even the excellent Archive DVDs have too much of a "Paul's Lawyers" feel about it.

After reading all this I think i can consider myself in the Paul camp. I love John's stuff but my favourites are definitley (what i've learned are) Paul's stuff - Lady Madonna, Drive My Car, Get Back, Penny Lane. Where would A Day in the Life stand? To me, and from all that everyone has said i'd be thinking that was fairly 50/50, quite popppy and melodic but also a bit off the wall!

Where would A Day in the Life stand?

Interesting as it was a true collaboration - rare enough at that stage.

John largely responsible for the 'verses', Paul for the middle section and they both worked out the "I'd love to turn you on" bit.

Great song - you actually hear Paul & John's stuff merge almost seamlessly "(Paul)...outside and went into a dream" (change to John) "Aaah Aaah Aah etc"

Back