Pat Rabbitte to resign today?

You would have to wonder about an ethical code that absolves an individual for their crimes but condemns them for their arrogance and attitude.

The key point is not that she should be absolved, but simply that she should accept she was in the wrong in the first place.

If she does not, and is appointed as a minister, what moral authority would the government have to enforce the tax laws against ordinary citizens, when it includes a minister who aided and abetted tax evasion, got personal financial benefit from the tax evasion, yet who will not accept there was anything wrong with what she did?

Anyway, leaving aside the rights & wrongs of the matter, in my opinion Flynn has shown such phenomenally bad judgement in this whole affair, that alone should permanently disbar her from ministerial office.

But Bertie is willing to overlook all that because she can deliver the votes in Mayo - hence my view that "anyone who now votes for Fianna Fáil either approves of tax evasion or at a minimum is prepared to tolerate it in a member of the government."

most people would have accepted that she had paid her dues and allowed her back into the fold if she had shown any basic understanding of what she had done wrong. Beverly Flynn has shown no inclination to apologise for her actions

The problem with this logic is that when someone is held to account for an alleged misdemeanour or crime it becomes very easy for them to avoid blame simply by shedding a tear or two, saying "I'm sorry" and walking away. Bertie Ahern did this very successfully in the "dig-out" interview last Autumn and was able to avoid a whole array of awkward questions by doing so. If another Michael Lowry/Ray Burke/Liam Lawlor-type scandal is uncovered in the next year or two, what is to stop those implicated from shedding a few tears in front of a camera in order to avoid any serious scrutiny of their actions?

and so why should I support her move back into government any more than I would support a criminal getting early release while still laughing at his/her victim?

I can't answer that as its obviously for you to decide. For what its worth, the prospect of Ms Flynn becoming a minister appalls me as well.

Anyway, leaving aside the rights & wrongs of the matter, in my opinion Flynn has shown such phenomenally bad judgement in this whole affair, that alone should permanently disbar her from ministerial office.
I happen to agree.

Back