Passport and UK

You must have the ID document that you used when you first booked your flight. I witnessed two young Canadian backpackers being refused access to their flight at last check point as they had used some other ID document to the one they were carrying with them.
This only applies where you have had to submit details of your id. So for travel between Ireland and England on Aer Lingus this is not an issue - you do not have to give the details of the ID you are planning to use.

I have been refused travel for having out of date passport with Ryanair. Pity the system does not notice when you make your booking and spit it back? or is it a new thing that you get asked to give date of expiry?

The system doesn't ask for your details at the time of booking it asks for them at the time of checking in so it will spit it back if you try checking in with an out-of-date passport but it won't stop you buying the tickets in the first place. This also applies for where API is required, you don't need your ID to book - just to fly.

This update on travel-documents might be of importance to people planning to travel soon, especially by Ryanair. I cancelled my trips and my new passport still has not arrived. Today a neighbour who has just returned from Ireland told me the passport office in Dublin is affected by a recent strike. This is unsubstantiated but worth checking if you are planning a renewal or waiting for documents.

Back