Paper or Computer, which do you use ? Or prefer ?

RichInSpirit

While I love doing spreadsheets in Excel, sometimes I find figuring stuff out just so much handier on a piece of paper, be it the back of an envelope, notebook etc. Maybe then do a spreadsheet after doing some figuring on paper.
Even for record keeping, I find a paper note book so handy for writing stuff into rather than putting stuff in an app or computer program.
So which do use or prefer, paper or computer ?

Usually first draft on paper, second draft on computer. But if I have to refer to a document when working something out, rather than just free flowing, then I find having a 2nd monitor makes a big difference. You have one screen for the reference doc and one for your working doc.

Depending on what I am doing.
1st draft will normally be a mind-map (just the way my mind works), and I will do that either on paper or with Freemind software. If it's a document, then I'll type it as I can touch type, so it's not a burden, and easier to edit.

I very rarely use paper. My handwriting was never brilliant and it's gotten worse over the years from disuse. The only time I'd ever put pen to paper is for a quick sketch a physical scenario that I'm trying to analyse. A drawing program would be cumbersome for that. In all other cases it's computer all the way.

Usually first draft on paper, second draft on computer. But if I have to refer to a document when working something out, rather than just free flowing, then I find having a 2nd monitor makes a big difference. You have one screen for the reference doc and one for your working doc.
Same here.

Second monitor is the way to go, its like getting a second hand (as opposed to a pre-owned hand....). I hardly ever print anything anymore unless I need to sign it.

If you get software like Bluebeam (or the more advanced Adobe) you can add comments on pdf's or type onto pdf forms. I can barely read my own handwriting so its a God-send. I do still scribble notes in a copy at meetings or To Do lists etc, but a ring bound writing pad would probably last me more than a year, and if the CIA got hold of it it would tie up their encryption experts for a year working out top secret details like "make sure paid before 23rd.....".

I've officially given up on Christmas cards. Always found it a chore, didn't send any last year. Got none so far this year. While I am anti-social I did ring people (or whatsapp) instead. So better engagement.

hmmm, Duke, that link has been "loading" for about 10 mins.... I'm just waiting for the Russians to issue ransom demands at this stage....

As an example I keep a small (paper) notebook in my car for recording fuel purchases.
Even though I have a spreadsheet program on my phone it would take that little bit longer to record. The notebook is that little bit handier.
And recently I decided to add my purchases up over a six month period and even though I was looking forward to doing it on a spreadsheet on the laptop I ended up writing them into a paper ledger. Just a little bit handier.
I still have it in my mind to enter it into a spreadsheet as well to extract more information but haven't gotten around to it.

Also sometimes when trying to figure out formulas it's clearer and faster to scribble stuff out on paper and then try it in a spreadsheet.

So which do use or prefer, paper or computer ?
I might add a third option to this question. Mobile phone. Since discovering Microsoft Excel for Android (for free) I've started recording some financial transactions on it that I was previously writing into a paper notebook.
I'm still writing the diesel into a paper notebook but thinking of starting to write it straight into Excel too.
Microsoft have really made an Excellent App version of Excel.

Paper is for my notes, if I'm meeting a tradesman for example. After that, and depending on what it is, it's Word, excel or a mind map. However I do retain paper copies of a lot of things as well as having some of them scanned and digitalised.

Paper is my first port of call, the old "back of a fag-packet" habit is hard to break. I resort to digital if I want to keep a copy or the going gets tough.

Notes written on Post-its, and later transcribed or scanned to OneNote; everything else on computer (LibreOffice).

I more or less never use paper. Used to keep notes in Word or a text editor, but now I just have a single continuous draft email open all the time. Most of the notes get binned anyway so it saves having lots of bitty documents, anything important will get transposed to somewhere else later. I have a number of spreadsheets on the go continually for more than 20 years -- everything from household spending to copies of all bank and credit card transactions and a lot more besides. I write a lot of equations, so they get done in an old version of MathType. Can't really think of any use for paper and pen unless I get stuck somewhere without a computing device (including phone), which is basically never. If truth be told, I almost never even read from paper. Haven't read a paper book in well over a decade (which includes 6 years of university study).

I used this some time ago and am considering renewing my licence. A note-taker that does sums and keeps the notes and sums together. Mac & iPad. 4.5 stars for what it was. Starting free trial today.

https://soulver.app/ similar apps on Mac OS and other platforms exist but none that I have used.

I find WhatsApp good if I'm out and about - I just send myself a message. I have the bin schedule on it which is handy.

I use OneNote a lot and find it really good. I have tabs for holidays, stuff around the house, recipes, screen shots for purchases / payments etc etc

Back