Painting waste pipes & meter boxes etc.

Betsy Og

presumably this is a good idea. I know plastic doesnt take paint well so will need a 2nd coat or maybe a 3rd.

For the waste pipe it extends up beyond the gutter, so would you switch between the wall colour and then onto the gutter/fascia&soffit colour for maximum camoflage effect.

Also, the boiler up against back wall, galvanised cover. Would it be better to put oil based paint on this for its protective qualities rather than emulsion which might be prone to washing or rubbing off?

There are a lot of good primers on the market ,any good paint shop will carry them. If you are painting a zinc galvanized surface it is a good idea to first wipe it down with ordinary household vinegar as this will etch the surface and provide a better key for what ever paint you decide to put on.

You could also buy a special "etch primer" to paint galvanise, although unless the boiler looks very bad I wouldn't bother, it'll heat up with the sun and use (obviously) and I wonder how long a conventional oil paint will last. Don't use emulsion in anycase. If there are just a few rust spots you can buy an aerosol of (CFC Free) cold galvanising spray, it'll match the existing metal finish and protect it from any further rust. Most car/ motor factors stock this spray, costs about €20 but really will stop metal rusting.

For painting PVC soil pipe etc. manufacturers recommend you roughen the pipe surface with sandpaper and apply two coats of gloss, no undercoat required.

Rather than painting the pipes why don't you box them off and then paint the boxes. It may look tidier.

brodiebabe said:
Rather than painting the pipes why don't you box them off and then paint the boxes. It may look tidier.

I think it might look a bit funny outdoors, a good idea indoors though

Back