Painting a house for the first time

bertson

Hi Again,
When is the correct time to paint a house (external) for the first time. Some peiple tell me I have yo wait for a year after plastering but the paint manufacturs just say to mix with water the first time you paint externally

Any help?

Cheers
B

Hi Again,

You may get some help from [broken link removed] or [broken link removed]

IMHO if the house has been plastered for a year then it should be ready for painting but I would definitely wait until the present wet spell is over and we have had a few dry days and surely with the amount of rain that we have had recently that there have to be at least a few of these on the way - will probably arrive as usual the day the Leaving/Junior Cert. start :)

These tips might be useful http://www.woodiesdiy.com/woodies/default.asp?shop=woodies (Woodies DIY Painting tips)and [broken link removed]

Personally I prefer the maintenance free pebble dashing option but it is costly initially and a messy job.

I'm just wondering why you feel the need to paint the exterior of a new house.

Once you decide to paint it , it is something you'll have to do every few years( I'm in this position) and paint is something that appears to have become more expensive. Although if you do decide to do the job, I would recommend using good quality paint such as dulux weathershield( it will last longer in the end). It is the sort of job that will take a few days to do properly and you would be as well to wait for a few guaranteed (???) dry days in the summer if it ever arrives.

And remember, using ladders can be dangerous: More people are killed or injured using ladders than any other piece of DIY equipment, with more than 30,000 needing hospital treatment each year in the UK. So be careful up there!

Back