Padraig Harrington

Homer

Any Padraig Harrington fans out there?

I'm a huge fan and have been following his career from the start. Apart from being a genuinely nice guy, he's possibly the greatest Irish sports star ever.

I was watching the scores in the PGA Championship today and was gutted when he double bogeyed the last hole to miss the cut by one shot. This seems likely to cost him an automatic Ryder Cup slot as he would have passed Miguel Angel Jiminez in the Ryder Cup rankings if he had made the cut.

He may still get a wild card selection, but I find myself wondering what it is that makes someone who is one shot inside the cut line take on a risky shot on his final hole, when he knows that making a bogey will still get him into the final two days.

Maybe that's what separates major winners from us mere mortals!

He seems a very likeable guy but his speech is slightly off putting (pun not intended).:)

" I'm a huge fan and have been following his career from the start. Apart from being a genuinely nice guy, he's possibly the greatest Irish sports star ever "

Ah give us a break.

I'd be a bit more impressed with him if he advertised for the Laser clinic that he went to for his own eyes, instead of the one that pays for the heaviest advertising.

I'm obviously ploughing a lone furrow here.

I'm a bit surprised that no-one has anything positive to say about the guy.

Even if you don't agree that he's one of the greatest Irish sports stars, you have to admit that he's been one of the most successful.

And at least some people agree with me. In a recent poll, he was voted the greatest Irish sportsperson of all time. And I know a poll is only a poll.

Sometimes, the level of begrudgery on this site really depresses me.

Maybe you are depressed because you were expecting a large number to agree with you

Maybe you are depressed because you were expecting a large number to agree with you

Not really. But I was expecting at least one or two positive responses.

I know it's a bit foolish to get upset when a team/person we take an interest in gets beaten/does badly/fails to qualify. But a lot of people get fairly worked up about sports (remember Roy Keane in Saipan, Thierry Henri's handball, the Meath "goal that wasn't a goal" against Louth, etc. etc.) and I'm one of those fortunate/unfortunate/deluded people. I thought there might be one or two kindred spirits out there.

I know there are websites where I could find loads of other sports fans and I'll know better than to post anything sports related on this site again. In fact, I'm not sure I'll post anything again on this site.

It used to be a great site. But in recent times, most threads tend to ramble all over the place and there's generally at least a couple of snide remarks thrown in along the way.

I'm a golfer myself and padraig harrington is a legend. His behaviour on and off the golf is impeccable. Look at the tantrums that sergo garcia got up to when he duffed a bunker shot recently. (spoilt brat) Padraig has won 3 majors and he is definetly irish!! Rory Macilroy came up through the irish juvenile ranks, was supported by the irish golfing union and has now said that he would represnt Enland in an olympic golfing event if it ever happens. Not very Irish.

Rory Macilroy came up through the irish juvenile ranks, was supported by the irish golfing union and has now said that he would represnt Enland in an olympic golfing event if it ever happens. Not very Irish.

Well, he is British:p

I used to be but methinks he thinks too much and suffers paralysis from analysis

Might be a bit of that going on right now.

Doesn't make me less of a fan, but it does cause considerable frustration. Whenever I see him spending ages over a putt, I cringe knowing that he's likely to miss.

I think he'll come through it and will add further majors.

Well said. I don't really understand why I got such a negative response to my original post.

Maybe because golf might not carry the same importance as other sports to posters here, or maybe because he has failed to live up to his own standards over recent years.
My guess is that golf just hasn't been a sport for the ordinary man for long enough for it to really get under our skin, but it may well do in time with the continued success of Harrington and others.

I think Padraig Harrington is great. He's a fantastic role model and a credit to the country. Always a smile on his face and never whinging even when things go wrong. We need more people like him.

I think Padraig Harrington is great. He's a fantastic role model and a credit to the country. Always a smile on his face and never whinging even when things go wrong. We need more people like him.

+1

He's a great role model.

The Flanders of Golf.

Just lacks that ruthless edge and conviction with his game.

But he is a really, really, really, really, really, really, really, really, nice person.

Rory Macilroy came up through the irish juvenile ranks, was supported by the irish golfing union and has now said that he would represnt Enland in an olympic golfing event if it ever happens. Not very Irish.

He would be doing well since England doesn't compete in the Olympics.

I'm a huge fan and have been following his career from the start. Apart from being a genuinely nice guy, he's possibly the greatest Irish sports star ever.
He seems to be a decent bloke. I would tend to view Golf as a good walk spoiled and I detest the incessant broadcast media coverage. Certainly not the greatest Irish sports star ever.

Back