Paddy the Plasterer

annR

Does it bother anyone else the way the media keeps referring to Paddy Reilly as also Paddy the Plasterer when discussing the Tribunal into the Taoiseach's finances?

It's a nickname. It really annoys me the way the press latches on to these things like Mr Fahy down in Galway, they kept reporting him as "also known as The Stroke Fahy". It's a nickname and has no place in the news, it just makes these guys sound like harmless popular types and it's totally irrelevant anyway what their nickname is.

Last edited:
Paddy The Plaster and Charlie Chawk....they sound like characters from a dodgy mafia film.

Bertie "The Don" Ahern??

Why did he get the name 'The Cope'.... is it because he was coping well after a dose of the shingles or something?

In answer to the OP - yes I find it annoying also - but what can you do- thats the media for you!

A relative of his founded the Cooperative movement. An Post put him on a stamp recently, the relative not Pat :) .

I do agree with OP but I find more annoying when the media especially the tabloids give nicknames to criminals...e.g. maradona, etc..etc

Last edited:
Does it bother anyone else the way the media keeps referring to Paddy Reilly as also Paddy the Plasterer when discussing the Tribunal into the Taoiseach's finances?

It's a nickname. It really annoys me the way the press latches on to these things like Mr Fahy down in Galway, they kept reporting him as "also known as The Stroke Fahy". It's a nickname and has no place in the news, it just makes these guys sound like harmless popular types and it's totally irrelevant anyway what their nickname is.

Annoys the hell out of me. I also hate the constant grating, silly, reference to the "dig out" payments re Bertie's finances.

And I hate the way he is called "Bertie" anyway :mad:

As I recall, "Paddy the Plasterer" was how Bertie referred to him in the Bryan Dobson interview. It was to distinguish him from another Paddy Reilly who also contributed to the dig-out. it's understandable. Who among us doesn't have multiple friends of the same name who's generosity (in cash) can be relied upon in times of (recurring) crisis. It's no wonder the poor man's recollection is letting him down.

As for an "anti FF bias" maybe if they weren't so hooky in the first place, the media would leave them alone.

As I recall, "Paddy the Plasterer" was how Bertie referred to him in the Bryan Dobson interview. It was distinguish him from another Paddy Reilly who also contributed to the dig-out.

As for an "anti FF bias" maybe if they weren't so hooky in the first place, the media would leave them alone.

Surely they could come up with some other way of distinguishing between them other than referring to one of them as Paddy the Plasterer. Sounds like something from kid's TV, like "Bob the Builder."
I remember when Bertie made history by signing some electronic signature somethingorother with Bill Clinton and there was a plaque. I remember reading "William Jefferson Clinton" and thinking right now I'll read Bertie's full name, but it just said "Bertie Ahern". Didn't quite measure up. So maybe Bertie is his full name? Or is it Bartholemew?

As I recall, "Paddy the Plasterer" was how Bertie referred to him in the Bryan Dobson interview. It was distinguish him from another Paddy Reilly who also contributed to the dig-out.

Not Paddy The fields of Athenry Reilly surely :eek:

the name is
Patrick Bartholomew "Bertie" Ahern
according to wikipedia

Back