Oxegen Bars closed early

Ash 22, your missing my point.
Why should people at a concert donate to charity?

Its not the fact it was a concert but just so happens it was. Lets say if this was a gathering of farmers, or whatever I would say exactly the same. 240,000 people together, when will we get that again?
Having been fundraising with a group for a very good health cause for over 20 years and seeing how much organising it takes to get a few bob I personally would think something like this could be a golden opportunity.

Wonder if there was any actual charitable organisation there collecting for their cause ?

I don't see why early closing of the bars is seen as a huge problem. Why is one more pint (which is going to get excreted in a portaloo within 40 minutes anyway) a bit problem?

Well if they are charging €3 for your drinks container (refundable) and from what I can gather these were scattered all over the place with a few enterprising people collecting these and claiming the refund there must be an opening here for a charity to sponsor a glass. But would they be seen to be associated with alcohol?
Another thought. Why do charities always look for handouts? There were several food stalls at Oxygen and at other festivals around the country. These were business enterprises making good money. Why won't a charity set up a foodstall themselves?
"Barnardos Baguettes", "Trocaire Sushi", Gorta Galettes".

The idea sounds ok but not sure do you need a licence to operate these stalls, also insurance I presume would be required, food for preparation would have to be bought etc,
My whole idea that I'm trying to get across from the beginning is collecting from a massive amount of people over a short period of time, making it easy on the collectors and getting a huge amount of money for whatever charity.

My whole idea that I'm trying to get across from the beginning is collecting from a massive amount of people over a short period of time, making it easy on the collectors and getting a huge amount of money for whatever charity.

The problem is that this logic is already being flogged to death, in the form of all sorts of stealth taxes, parking fees, road tolls, daffodil days, street charity collections, church gate collections, supermarket bag-packing etc etc. People get tired of being touched for "good causes" all the time, and have every right to object to being put under pressure to donate when they have already paid a considerable entry fee to an event.

The problem is that this logic is already being flogged to death, in the form of all sorts of stealth taxes, parking fees, road tolls, daffodil days, street charity collections, church gate collections, supermarket bag-packing etc etc. People get tired of being touched for "good causes" all the time, and have every right to object to being put under pressure to donate when they have already paid a considerable entry fee to an event.

Totally agree with you but sadly the fact is all these causes need so much funds and more and depend so much on all these collections.

Totally agree with you but sadly the fact is all these causes need so much funds and more and depend so much on all these collections.

The majority of charities are inefficent and a waste of money. I have an auditor friend who audited one of the big Irish charites recently. She said is was a disgrace. They were all sitting there with their defined benefit pensions and massive expense accounts. She was one of those who made a monthlt contribution but after seeing what went on, she said never again. She said in futute she will be very careful where she gives her money.

The majority of charities are inefficent and a waste of money. I have an auditor friend who audited one of the big Irish charites recently. She said is was a disgrace. They were all sitting there with their defined benefit pensions and massive expense accounts. She was one of those who made a monthlt contribution but after seeing what went on, she said never again. She said in futute she will be very careful where she gives her money.

Thats a pretty serious statement to make.You say your friend audited ONE charity. Please do not tar them all with the one brush as it is certainly not true.
Your friend should be a bit more discreet and confidential about her work.

There are many Irish charities that seem to be run on very questionable grounds. The media in recent weeks reported how one tiny charity that represents one particular marginal interest group got a large six-figure sum in state funding last year. There are many other charities and NGO's in the same boat, all getting substantial state funding and all spending significant resources on PR and the public profile of their management and directors.

Your friend should be a bit more discreet and confidential about her work.
This reminds me of what Church interests used to say whenever stories of institutional child abuse and neglect would be leaked to the media in times past.

If there are many charities which are not run above aboard certainly it should be out in the open. That is very serious matter and very disappointing. We cannot comment if we do not know but we would all like to know who they are.

When I mentioned the fact about this auditor lady being discreet in her job surely if she had an issue with the way this charity was being run and she was concerned about it she should have been able to raise this with the relevant authorities rather than passing word around to her friends.

I heard on the radio that the scouts were there charging to pitch peoples tents, then collecting and cleaning up the tents that were abandoned for charities too so some good was done :)

Give Amy Winehouse enough booze and maybe she'll write a cheque for whatever charity you ask her too:D

Oxegen was expensive enough.

Back