OT rants about teachers, guards and other public servants

Status
Not open for further replies.

Bronte

There is no point debating the McCarthy report as we will now be having another report.

Split from this thread was not started by

Last edited by a moderator:
Split from this thread was not started by !

... teachers being unsackable and paid €60k per year...

Some teachers are paid 60K.
They are not unsackable - all public/civil servants can be sacked... (and have been in the past).

The teachers that are earning 60K are more than likely those with primary degrees, post graduate degrees and quite a lot of years of service.

Teachers Common Basic Scale

1 €32,599
2 €33,754
3 €34,907
4 €36,068
5 €37,865
6 €39,028
7 €40,194
8 €43,123
9 €44,586
10 €46,336
11 €48,077
12 €49,830
13 €51,297
14 €53,238
15 €53,238
16 €53,238
17 €55,916
18 €55,916
19 €54,916
20 €55,916
21 €59,454
22 €59,454
23 €59,454
24 €59,454
25 €63,360

It takes 25 years before a teacher can earn over 60K as their base salary.

Re: 10 things that dont make sense about the McCarthy Report.

thats rubbish gianni

if a teacher gets an honours degree they dont start at level one plus they get a large ammount every year for getting that degree (pity the rest of us cant get extra money every year for getting an honours degree) so most start on 35k plus!!!

another 1k a year for yard duty dont forget

i know primary school teachers that are on 42k and they are 25 yrs old. thats not a lie

plus the scale above gives them GUARANTEED increments. can the private sector sign up for these please and dont say teachers cant get promoted etc like the private sector. they can go for a principal job any time they want but they wont as they are on so much money now for doing very little, the extra money isnt worth the extra work to them so hence we have a shortage of principles

another rant. older teachers on 60k a year are basically unsackable. i know plenty of them. they take loads of sick days, nothing ever happens. when they do go to work they do very little.

another rant. older teachers on 60k a year are basically unsackable. i know plenty of them. they take loads of sick days, nothing ever happens. when they do go to work they do very little.

Some of them dont even have H-Dips and so shouldnt even be teaching [not urban myth, my OH is a teacher and there are a 2-3 of these older teachers w/o H-Dip in her school. Also, I've a friend on the Board of Man of another school - says they have some also].

A lot of generalisation going on their Spursman. (And I am not a teacher or related to any teachers).

thats rubbish gianni

No it's not. You mightn't like it but its not rubbish.
I never said all teachers start on the first point. If you took the time to read my post you would have seen the heading:

Teachers Common Basic Scale

i know primary school teachers that are on 42k and they are 25 yrs old. thats not a lie

i know plenty of them. they take loads of sick days, nothing ever happens. when they do go to work they do very little.

Perhaps the problem is with the kind of people that you know...

I'm not a teacher nor am I related to one.

is that supposed to be an insult gianni

moderator, please discipline gianne for his insinuation

Quite a bit of anecdotal "evidence" Spursman on teachers salaries when compared to the published scales !

Spursman - it is ridiculous to generalise like that - it makes no sense!

To be fair and I am not genalising but these are basic scales. The problem with public sector pay is that it is too complicated. The extra's and allowances make it almost impossible to understand what the cost is. Remember half the teachers in Ireland get a managerial allowance. Is there is any organisation in the world made up of 50% managers? This costs the state €240 million a year.

They also have very retrictive work practices and as McCarthy rightly points out, the State pays over €300m a year on substituion and supervision payments.

There are massive savings that can be made without touching basic pay if people just are willing to negotiate sensibly. We are all going to be less well off than we were. There is no alternative.

There are massive savings that can be made without touching basic pay if people just are willing to negotiate sensibly.

+1
I was shocked recently to hear that gardai got an allowance when they were on leave because they would miss out on being able to claim for some other allowances while they were away.

the guards are probably the worst in fairness

time off to play gaa etc with full pay. uniform allowance, lunch allowance, travel allowance . hope they get hit hard in the budget

time off to play gaa etc with full pay. uniform allowance, lunch allowance, travel allowance . hope they get hit hard in the budget

Your generalisations are not doing your argument any favours. Let me guess, you 'know' a guard who gets paid to go off and play GAA.

plenty of them. how you mean "generalisations" - the fact that one person is allowed do those kind of things is too many

Just like Maggie in the UK in the 80's the government/ the next government will look after the police.

No it's not. You mightn't like it but its not rubbish.
I never said all teachers start on the first point. If you took the time to read my post you would have seen the heading:

Teachers start on the third point of the scale.

41k is their starting wage, so 45k at age 25 is possible.

My father retired aged 62 on 72k, very common. His pension is 35-35k approx, or nearly 700 pw. Also very common.

72k a year for a teacher, for goodness sake. thats crazy

700 a week on a pension - just dont get me started

Status
Not open for further replies.