Opinions on Mary Robinson, please

Detest the way she used the presidency to get a better job elsewhere. Why did she run if at the back of her mind she was always going to walk out to something else?

Isn't that what many ambitious people do in most walks of life anyway? I see nothing wrong with that.

I think that if she had a penis this post would never have opened!

In regard to the comments about her believing she were too good for the Presidency, where is the evidence of that? She was in fact the first President of this Country to open the Aras to the people, she invited many, many community groups in and had what could only be termed as an inclusive Presidency, hardly a sign that she was too good for a post that prior to her was an ivory tower for the retired.

Amazing woman. She made the Presidency real and relevant to everyone.... I'm with you gillarosa!

She was in fact the first President of this Country to open the Aras to the people, she invited many, many community groups in and had what could only be termed as an inclusive Presidency, hardly a sign that she was too good for a post that prior to her was an ivory tower for the retired.
Very true. I am glad that she felt it her duty not to plod along with the status quo and used her presidency to do a lot of good. Prior to her can we name a president who gave us value for money!

I think that if she had a penis this post would never have opened!

You are both entitled to that opinion, but no, the post has nothing to do with gender/sex. She just happened to annoy me that day, reminding me that I fundamentally disagree with her world view - it could quite easily have been Michael D. Higgins or someone else of his ilk.

You are both entitled to that opinion, but no, the post has nothing to do with gender/sex. She just happened to annoy me that day, reminding me that I fundamentally disagree with her world view - it could quite easily have been Michael D. Higgins or someone else of his ilk.

I wasn't trying to have a go at you, my apologies.

I do think that she was more popular with women than men. It was a milestone for "mna na hEireann". She did bring style to the Arus and made Mary Mc Aleese's election easier.
My other criticisms stands nevertheless and it was a snub to the people that elected her to walk off the job. At least Keano never stood for election!

Last edited:
Re: Honest opinions on Mary Robinson, please

i think she offered more to the world by taking up that job rather than staying president of ireland
I saw that as a cynical career move at the time, and that's still my view. I voted for her the first time, thought she was a breath of fresh air in Irish politics, but I wouldn't be caught like that again. The system kind of sucks in the best of them, doesn't it?

Penis connection or not, the testosterone levels are quite high ....... judgeing by the voice. This would account for her over-zealous streak. Ruthlessly ambitious, her privileged upbringing and airy fairy mutterings made her a role model for other ladies of that ilk and drag queens.

Last edited by a moderator:
Penis connection or not, the testosterone levels are quite high ....... judgeing by the voice. This would account for her over-zealous streak. Ruthlessly ambitious, her privileged upbringing and airy fairy mutterings made her a role model for other ladies of that ilk and drag queens.

She certainly is a role model to me. I guess that classes me in with either 'ladies of that ilk' or 'drag queens'. Judging by your tone I wonder whether I should pretend to have my own penis.

Are only the poor allowed to have a social conscience?

Sorry Vanilla! This is not personalised. Of course you're not. It's just my take on wimmin who occasionally wear chokers, neck scarves etc to hide the first man's fruit;). Now, Bonny Tyler, Alison Moyet and Macy Grey have got beautiful voices, panache and fashion dexterity ........... and don't look like fish out of water.

Again Purple. Without the poor there would be no need to have a social conscience. What would these people do then? Create another percieved underlayer that can be the focus of their altruism?

Again Purple. Without the poor there would be no need to have a social conscience. What would these people do then? Create another percieved underlayer that can be the focus of their altruism?
The world will never be perfect, that doesn’t mean that we should accept things as they are.

Back