Opening/Dumping other people's mail

Why does it take so long for the senders of the mail to get the message that their intended recipient doesn't live there anymore. VHI is one example of a company who has repeatedly sent mail to my address for the previous owner despite numerous 'Return to Senders'. I'm sick of returning all the mail aswell and do feel that it is totally disrectful of the previous owners not to arrange to collect it or do a proper job of changing their address.

I live in a house of 6 flats and after a month or so a huge pile of post builds up, no previous tenants have left an address to my knowledge......so I just write no longer at this address and chuck them back into the postbox.

I have lived a numerous addresses over the past 10 years - i'm guessing at least 8/9 so what i do is have all postal correspondence sent to my parents address and give them a buzz and they tell me what is there ( the mother has become v apt at reading post marks !) and they send on what is important. Can be a bit of a pain but at least i know my mail is safe and all my parents do is stick on a label ive printed and hand it back to the postman. Works a treat and my friends dont need to get a new address book just for all my addresses !!:D

I've used the An Post mail redirection twice and both times items slipped through, ie went to the address instead of being forwarded. The landlady didn't bother her ass to return or forward them - I think she binned them. I only found out cos a friend had taken a flat in the building and also a cheque sent to me never arrived. A complete pain cos I then had to spend time on the the local post office and the redirection service. There's no infallible system.

Back