One vote makes no difference

nah, I'm reckoning he'd fancy being "Master of the Universe" that way ALL his votes would make a difference ;)
Who needs friends when you can have subjects!

yes, but would he bother voting?

I'm starting to think that maybe he has difficulties reading and writing and has concocted this 'theory' to avoid the shame of having to ask someone where he needs to put his X.

Don't worry qwertyuiop, there are organisations out there waiting to help you, and I am proud of you for admitting your problem, after all that's the first step to resolving the issue.

Not a very good reason to abstain from the democratic process. You can cite mathematical clap-trap all you want, but it's wasted on me so don't go there. Does your failure to vote also mean you don't bother to acquaint yourself with the issues?

I do in fact take a keen interest in the actual issues - i just don't vote.

There's no fascination with it.

I am fascinated however how most people seem to overlook this glaringly obvious statistical fact.

They don't overlook it, they value the participation. Why do you think people attend protests, or sign petitions, donate small amounts to charity or even recycle?

Out of curiosity - WHat are your main reasons for voting?

I think we can all agree that teh difference betrween the winner and loser in an election being 1 vote is very slim - so i'm presuming it's obvioulsy not that.

SO - what is it instead?

Is it because you get a feeliong of satisfaction in playing an active role in the democratic process?
Or is there some other reason that i'm not thinking of ?

Its all down to your personal preference. If you can't be bothered to participate in the democratic process and have your voice heard then so be it. If you want other people to make the decisions that you are unwilling to make for yourself go right ahead. If you feel that you don't want to exercise your democratic right to vote, a right that people have died to attain, a right that millions don't even have, fair enough.
This is fair enough, but;

One request though: When everyone else makes the decision for you, don't complain if you don't agree with it.
This makes no logical sense. The people that did vote are the ones that have no business complaining! - They are the ones after all that 'made the decision'.

I wasn't talking about people who vote, I was talking about someone who abdicates their right to vote. In what way does such a person have a right to complain?

I hear ye knockin' leghorn !

We might drill a bit of sense into them yet.

i.e. the likelihood of my vote having any difference to the overall outcome is basically nil.

And with tha in mind, for me to take it upon myself, while minding my own business and choosing not to vote will have no impact whatsoever.

I'm just saying there is no incentive for me to get off the couch and vote because basically I can say with near certainty that it's gonna make absolutely no bit of difference to teh outcome in the end.

It's the personal pronoun thing, you seem very attached to the importance of your vote as a lynch-pin or decider, instead of your vote as a contributor.

.... but it's more of a probability issue.

The reality is that statistically speaking it's pretty much as good a nailed on certainty you'll ever find that 1 vote won't make the difference.

I'm coming at this from a mathematical angle.
hmmm, again this business of deriving "logic" from "statistics and probability". Statistics and probability are inherently uncertain, or rather certainty is a specific outcome where the probability is one and the statistical sample size is one. I think you are bandying words without actually providing the basis of your calculation.

In essence your argument is this. You vote, outcome closely mirrors the commercial and straw polls that were taken prior to the vote what was the point of your voting.

The problem with your argument is that you are treating a pre-vote searches for information as being relevant or important. They aren't. They don't count towards the result. What they do is reflect the actual sentiment of the sample population which can then be used to extrapolate what the result of the true poll will be (within a degree of certainty ... there is that word again...)
If you didn't know beforehand what the universal sentiment was would your vote be as irrelevant to you?

The other thing to note in this country is the magnifying effect of proportional representation as a voting mechanism, this skews your simplistic interpretation of the "statistics" and gives rise to all those wonderful vote management strategies.

If you want to feel important though, just think about how much tarmacadam has been laid over the years chasing specific votes from specific people....

Last edited:
yes, but would he bother voting?
Given that his contention is based on "statistics" and probability he would have to bow to the maths and vote. A population of 1 produces certainty which would mean that his vote would count, worth getting off the couch for!

I think you are bandying words without actually providing the basis of your calculation.

The basis of my calculation is very simple - the greater the number of peopel voting, the less imoact any one vote has.

So - if only 3 peopel were allowed vote and i was one of those 3 then i would most definitely vote.

When you're talking about the number of potential voters being ion teh millions then my 1 vote loses value.

In fact - it loses so much value to the point of being near redundant.

And my point has nothing do with straw polls before elections as you have mentioned.

I think we can all agree that teh difference betrween the winner and loser in an election being 1 vote is very slim - so i'm presuming it's obvioulsy not that.

Hmm, again the fascination with the lynchpin vote. I assume you want to be the piece of paper that was the last one counted?

Hmm, again the fascination with the lynchpin vote. I assume you want to be the piece of paper that was the last one counted?

I suppose my question is this.

What do you get out of it in going to the trouble of going down to the polling station given that your one vote,in all likelihood, will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome?

The fundamental difference between you and those who vote then qwertyuiop is not their fascination with democracy or ignorance of statistics. The fundamental difference is that my one vote (ignoring for a moment PR) has a value of 1, your vote has a value of 1/1000000. So again it comes down to a fascination you have with the importance of your vote.

The fundamental difference between you and those who vote then qwertyuiop is not their fascination with democracy or ignorance of statistics. The fundamental difference is that my one vote (ignoring for a moment PR) has a value of 1, your vote has a value of 1/1000000. So again it comes down to a fascination you have with the importance of your vote.

Your point makes no sense.

Your vote may well have a value of 1.
But when that one is one of a million or so,in relative terms, it is near worthless.

And that is the important point whcih you seem to ignore.

I suppose my question is this.

What do you get out of it in going to the trouble of going down to the polling station given that your one vote,in all likelihood, will have no bearing whatsoever on the outcome?

What do I get out of it? Hmm, not being one given to bribes I tend to try avoid getting anything out of it at all.

How do I value the right and opportunity to vote? I would concur with shanegl, not only do I have a vote but that vote was gained by the efforts of those who had none, this indicates in the first instance that vote has intrinsic value.
I vote because my relevance is not tied into the herd but is intrinsic in who I am. I vote to express my opinion, irrespective of how many people it aligns with. I vote because my opinion is canvassed. I vote because it is a civic responsibility. I vote because I matter. You don't because you don't matter enough.

And it has nothing to do with teh importance of my vote like you seem to think.

The point i am making is a general one and about the importance of any one single vote.(WHich obviously does include my one vote as well as any other one vote)

Your point makes no sense.

Your vote may well have a value of 1.
But when that one is one of a million or so,in relative terms, it is near worthless.

And that is the important point whcih you seem to ignore.

That is the difference between absolute value and relative value.
I look at intrinsic, absolute value, you look at relative. I do not ignore, I comprehend.

Back