On disability benefit: if i am let go will my disability benefit be stopped?

rosandang

hi all thanks for taking the time to read this.

i have been on disability benefit for 16 months, i have not put my sick cert in to work since october as i gave them a letter (in september)from my gp to say i would need a further 3-6 months off, i told my boss in early september that i would hope to be back by early october as i felt better (i have panic/anxiety attacks and depression) but had a bit of a set back due to a change in meds, i have been summoned to a meeting with the company tomorrow and am worried that they r going to let me go as i have not sent in my sick cert for the last 2 months.

has anyone any advice on my situation, please

thanks

Re: On disability benefit: summoned to a meeting with the company tomorrow

sorry meant to add to above post. if i am let go will my disability benefit be stopped?

If I were you I wouldn't go in until I was informed exactly why they wanted you to come in. Coming back in to the office would be stressful to you so you need adequate time to prepare and you would like a letter from the company informing you of why they want you come in etc ...get my drift! Once you have the letter you can get advice based on this. Good luck.

thanks doberden, i'll ring in the morning to find out what its about.

also might be best to bring a 'friend', either union rep or solicitor.

am i in the wrong here though by not sending in the certs? i thought the letter from the gp would be sufficient to cover 6 months sick leave? if i am in the wrong then it means i have been out of work unauthorised in their opinion, r does the gp's letter cover me.

Hi Rosangdan

Firstly, having the illness that you are currently suffering is horrendous. I know this through experience....
You have been given good advise - call the office and enquire what they need to see you about. If you have been in the job for more than 12months then you have nothing to worry about. They would have to give you verbal and written warnings etc before any firing can be authorised. yuor benefits shouldnt stop unless your GP states otherwise. Hes the professional afterall.
Take a deep breath, contact the office and best of luck.

(have you considered councelling and behavour therapy) - its very good. understanding why you have these anxiety attacks is half the battle

*star* xx

thanks for ur reply shooting star, i rang this morning but the boss wasnt in and i told the secretary i couldnt make it in today, he didnt ring me back so i'll wait to hear from him. i had been working in the company for 8 yrs before i got sick, so hopefully that will stand to me.

the toughts of the meeting is driving me mad, cause i know i'll let them walk all over me and i'll probably end up in tears in front of them.

Back