Offshore Credit Cards?

mimi rogers

I heard someone mention a while back on AAM that they have a french credit card yet they are an irish person living in Ireland. How do people get these? Is it possible to get a credit card from abroad without having to pay thousands? Would it work in the exact same as a normal irish credit card? How would you pay the bill?

Mimi

I have a friend who always uses a U.S. issued american express card to rent cars because she gets the insurance free. They do not provide this facility if it is an Irish issued card. I will have to check to see if she has to pay the €40 per year (but I expect not) and how she pays the bill.

I'd imagine you need an (insert relevant country here) address at the very least to obtain a credit card in that country. You may also need proof of income in that country. I'm only basing this on what you need to get a credit card in Ireland, it may be different elsewhere.

More info in this thread. It appears 'easier' than I thought.

mimi rogers said:
I heard someone mention a while back on AAM that they have a french credit card yet they are an irish person living in ireland. How do people get these? Is it possible to get a credit card from abroad without having to pay thousands? Would it work in the exact same as a normal irish credit card? How would you pay the bill?

Mimi

Yeah while in France i was offered a French Visa when I opened my bank account. Bad idea, the charges are astronomical (For a french one anyway).

You need a French address, utility bill with french address, attestion de travail (work contract) and a few wage slips. To open a french bank a/c. Practically everyone has a CC in France so I presume you need similar details for just the CC.

woods originally wrote - I have a friend who always uses a U.S. issued american express card to rent cars because she gets the insurance free. They do not provide this facility if it is an Irish issued card. I will have to check to see if she has to pay the €40 per year (but I expect not) and how she pays the bill.
Best check the cover on that AMEX card.
<snip>
  • Coverage is worldwide, except for vehicles rented in Australia, Ireland, Israel, Italy, Jamaica and New Zealand.
</snip>

<snip>
[broken link removed]

Click [broken link removed] to obtain more specific information about program benefits.
</snip>

Back