Offer Accepted-Next Step? Reduce the Offer? Rent? Delay for a few years?

Status
Not open for further replies.
Re: Offer Accepted-Next Step?

television, to express what you should pay for a house as a simple percentage of asking price is nonsense. As MrMan (the estate agent as far as I know) has pointed out asking prices can vary widely on similar houses.

Ball point figure nothing more, might be helpful.

I have no doubt you will be right at some point in the futureand the OP would be financially better off waiting till that point. But when is that point? Should everyone hold out till 30th June next year and then re-join the market en masse? Basically you are on your high horse over an issue of timing the market

savign 50-60-70 grand, better off, one more year, if prices are tumbling as they will he will save alot, then buy maybe. prices may contimue to fall after that (at a slower rate) but one year shoud give a good picture of things

OP follow your heart if this is the house for you and you have the funds for it go for it. If its a nice area for your family, you may not get a second chance in the same area. Daddycool is right with his advice.

OP follow your heart if this is the house for you and you have the funds for it go for it. If its a nice area for your family, you may not get a second chance in the same area. Daddycool is right with his advice.

And be prepared to pay for the heart journey next year when you are in negative equity, and remember if you decide to move in well you wont you wont be going anywhere else for a very long time

Ball point figure nothing more, might be helpful.

savign 50-60-70 grand, better off, one more year, if prices are tumbling as they will he will save alot, then buy maybe. prices may contimue to fall after that (at a slower rate) but one year shoud give a good picture of things

if that's not house price speculation! There are many desperate sellers with no buyers at the moment. This is not reflected in the house price indices yet because the houses haven't sold. If you get out there on the ground and make a few bids now you'll see (like a small minority) that you can now get a place 30% off it's 2006 peak. Most know it alls telling people to hold off are basing their advice on the indices rather than the reality on the ground

Answer

Withdraw offer in current climate unless you got a significant discount minimum 30% below asking price.

I guess most of us that read it, read it as answer the three areas of concern that were pointed out by OP, deposit, solicitor, surveyor.

Should every comment on a discussion forum relate exactly to what the OP said in his first post?

Of course not. You are just taking exception because you are an estate agent

Would it not be more beneficial if people answered the questions asked and not start making assumptions without any basis whatsoever.

And what a childish and narrow minded viewpoint, if it mattered to me what a poster in a different part of the country pays for his house simply because of my profession then I wouldn't divulge what I do for a living. I could say that you are a vested interest the other way inclined but what difference would it make to the argument.

Under any circumstances it is not daddycool to spend a massive wad load of your families cash that will effect the rest of your families life over emotional sentiment. wait a year buy your dream house and get it for 50grand cheaper. Sentimental and more important sensible.
Or as some might well argue if you find the right house to suit all of your families needs you are putting economical reasons ahead of their happiness.

Television you seem to know it all, can you give me the lotto numbers for tomorrow, since you know whats going to happen with the market for the next year or two.

Your advice is not helpful one bit. The area for OP could have the best of schools, be close to his job, there are plenty factors in buying a house, then just the price, as it was said already, Id be living down the country if it was all about the money, if OP has the funds for this, well then he should go for it. Its better then renting for another year or so, whic is just money down the drain if you ask me

And be prepared to pay for the heart journey next year when you are in negative equity, and remember if you decide to move in well you wont you wont be going anywhere else for a very long time

Based on what they say, Kopkidda will not be worrying about "negative equity" in a "next year" and "won't be going anywhere else for a long time"!

We are buying a place which is perfect for us both and plan to live in it for a very long time,that will do for me.Good luck with your purchase to.

Based on what they say, Kopkidda will not be worrying about "negative equity" in a "next year" and "won't be going anywhere else for a long time"!

IN the medium to long term circumstances/attitudes can change radically. And I am speaking from experience. Leaving options open in sensible and prudent.

Television you seem to know it all, can you give me the lotto numbers for tomorrow, since you know whats going to happen with the market for the next year or two.

Your advice is not helpful one bit. The area for OP could have the best of schools, be close to his job, there are plenty factors in buying a house, then just the price, as it was said already, Id be living down the country if it was all about the money, if OP has the funds for this, well then he should go for it. Its better then renting for another year or so, whic is just money down the drain if you ask me

There are a lot of houses close to hosppitals and schools, and in the present market there are only going to be more,

lotto numbers

3 22 45 2 7 and 15.

what a childish and narrow minded viewpoint, if it mattered to me what a poster in a different part of the country pays for his house simply because of my profession then I wouldn't divulge what I do for a living. I could say that you are a vested interest the other way inclined but what difference would it make to the argument.

I have never seen you post anything negative about buying a house. Seeing as the housing market is in deep trouble, I don't understand how you can still have such a positive, happy view about buying houses.

Unless of course you have a vested interest, which you do. You are an estate agent.

I am just an IT worker who sees big problems in the housing market.

If the OP wanted to buy shares in a company which were overpriced and headed for a slow, painful crash, I wouldn't advise him to "follow his heart".

Just as well he has already stated that he will be there for years to come then hence the lack of need for random speculation as to what will happen when.

Just as well he has already stated that he will be there for years to come then hence the lack of need for random speculation as to what will happen when.

Random speculation??

Common sence more like.

I have never seen you post anything negative about buying a house.

I have held differing views depending on what the OP or poster in question circumstances were. My view is generally that one size does not fit all therefore I don't take a generic view to all property questions. I don't say buy buy buy or your take which is wait wait wait. There are differing needs and wants and of course there are those that have pipe dreams and need reality checks.

I don't understand how you can still have such a positive, happy view about buying houses.
I think I would be negative if i wasn't engaged in it every day insofar as I would just be listening to it on the radio and reading about it and not actually seeing that there is still people actually buying houses. In my particular area prices have come back I'd say 10/12% in total and have started to stabilize, but who knows what way it will go i don't profess to have that knowledge I just get on with it.

Unless of course you have a vested interest, which you do. You are an estate agent.

But heres the thing a home owner is more of a vested interest than an EA as I'll get paid but you lose the money.

If the OP wanted to buy shares in a company which were overpriced and headed for a slow, painful crash, I wouldn't advise him to "follow his heart".
Except the OP couldn't exactly put down roots in shares. I do think we have lost the run of ourselves in this country and I do look forward to when the home is regarded as such and not as an equity machine.

Random speculation??

Common sence more like.

Think we are going around in circles on that one

Looks like I have created quite a debate,all factors taken into account pro's and cons we are happy with our decision to buy our house.Thanks to some of the posters on here.Its not all about money money money,people who are buying now to make a killing in the short term,will not do so.We are buying it as a family home,thus we wont be moving for a long time,with a bit of luck.

But heres the thing a home owner is more of a vested interest than an EA as I'll get paid but you lose the money.

That doesn't remove the large vested interest sign above your head.

Except the OP couldn't exactly put down roots in shares. I do think we have lost the run of ourselves in this country and I do look forward to when the home is regarded as such and not as an equity machine.

Because someone can live in a house, its price shouldn't matter?

The problem is people are too relaxed about the price of houses. I believe this is because the numbers are so huge "sure a few extra thousand won't make a difference".

If a coffee shop was trying to sell a latte for €5, you would not buy it as you wouldn't be willing to spend the extra €2. It would not make sense to buy the latte.

Why can't people apply this same logic to houses?

It seems people just don't want to know.

/End of discussion for me

Good luck with the purchase Kopkidda, I hope you are happy in the new house, I for one am happy with my decision with buying a house now.

Some are there to make a killing alright, but I for one am with you on this one, Im buying my house as a home, not to make a profit.

Keep us posted

Some are there to make a killing alright, but I for one am with you on this one, Im buying my house as a home, not to make a profit.

No, you're misunderstanding.

I have no interest in property as a way to make money. My home is my home. It is not an investment.

I simply don't think it makes sense to pay over the odds for things. And to be honest, people continuing to pay crazy money for Irish property bothers me as it is just prolonging the current property crash. It's in no ones interest to drag the crash over a number of years.

This vested interest term gets banded about a lot here.

Everyone is a vested interest at the end of the day, home owners wish to maintain their price, prospective owners are hoping for a price reduction, renters are hoping for a crash along with those employed in the industry hoping for more sales at any price.

At the end of the day each of these parties first and foremost is out for No. 1 so to brand certain groups as VI's is both misguided and incorrect.

The fact that everyone here is on posting and reading about property shows the insatiable interest each of these VI's has.

Everyone is a VI at the end of the day, and has a vested interest in the market no matter how much the say they don't.

Unless people are willing to put in their signatures their status ie: Investor, Prospective buyer, home owner, agent etc, everyone is going to post what suits them and theirs, and their opinions taken with a pinch of salt.....

You'll find some of the most ardent crash supporters rent, hoping to save on their purchase, some of the stabilization people are owners/investors, and agents are always saying it's a good time to buy!

The market always ends up in the middle of these opposing factions.

So make your own mind up, based on your own circumstances, which you appear to be doing.

Status
Not open for further replies.
Back