Northern Lights - when and where?

Green

Ok, I fully understand like most holiday or travel plans they are on hold. However, I’m looking for some advice from anyone who has experience of a trip to the Northern Lights and could offer any advice regarding a package trip or something you could organise yourself. Also, where is the best place to observe them from, thanks.

I've seen them twice on trips I organised myself. Well worth it.

If i was going again i would go to Iceland. Lots to do there even if the weather is bad.

You are really dependent on the weather though.

I went to Tromso to see them.
Well worth it.
You can get packages or just roll your own trip.

Reactions: PMU
Maybe Norway? A friend lives there, but prices for everything are eye watering. Sweden is cheaper .

Thanks for the responses. Whats the weather window to see them, am i looking at end April?

You can see them from northern Donegal quite often. You need clear crisp days for no clouds, then keep an eye on aurora info online. Its obviously hit & miss but a lot cheaper and you're not leaving the country! I've seen them out the back of my house in Sligo once, couldn't believe it! Rushed down to the nearest beach (5 mins away) for more darkness & they were clearly visible for 20 minutes or so!

Ive seen them a couple of times when i was in Donegal.
They are not impressive at all there compared to seeing them from Tromso. The difference is immense.
Think of it like looking the sail on tall ship on the horizon versus looking at that same sail above you standing on the deck of the ship.
Now if you have never seen them before and then saw them from Donegal you might think its impressive. I didnt.

A work colleague of mine paid a packet to visit Iceland to see the northern lights, but the weather there ruined it for him and his gf.
That same weekend another work colleague went home for the weekend, to Sligo, and said they were spectacular, the best she ever seen.
Right place, right time, and all that...

Back