northern cars speeding on M1

LIVERLIPS

Yesterday a northern reg car overtook a colleague of mine at speed and took of your wing mirror and scratched the side of her car which is only a few months old ford fiesta. She has to pay herself to get this replaced and it will be expensive as it is electric and painted the same colour of her car. It is not the first time she has arrived at work shaking up by these drivers. They drive at erratic speed well over the speed limit. This same colleague of mine lost her mam when she was knocked down at speed by a northern reg car.

Something has to be done about them speeding they know they cannot get speeding tickets so they take full advantage and intimitade us

Well I've just arrived into work and I'm seething. Everyday I spend one half hour stuck in traffic on one section of dual carriageway about a half mile long. There are people getting more and more brazen about driving up the hard shoulder and joining the traffic at the roundabout. Taxi drivers, security firms, people who drive with illuminous jackets....hardly people who have life saving jobs!!!! :mad:

MargeSimpson said:
Well I've just arrived into work and I'm seething. Everyday I spend one half hour stuck in traffic on one section of dual carriageway about a half mile long. There are people getting more and more brazen about driving up the hard shoulder and joining the traffic at the roundabout. Taxi drivers, security firms, people who drive with illuminous jackets....hardly people who have life saving jobs!!!! :mad:

Why don't you just sit with half your car sitting in the hard shoulder? It's fun watching them come up behind you trying to pass. You're doing nothing wrong and all the frustration gets passed from you to them. It's great :D

The govt could largely solve the problem of N.I. speeding drivers overnight.
How ?

Introduce 'on the spot' speeding tickets.
i.e. if you are stopped for speeding, you have to pay there-and-then if the Garda in question requests you to do so.

This is how it works in France, Spain, Germany etc. etc.

E.g. - I recall seeing a German police documentary where a speeding driver was stopped, shown video footage of his speed, after which he handed over his credit card (which was placed into a hand-held terminal) and the fine charged to his credit card account.

At present N.I drivers have summons sent to their home address's which they just tear up and nothing more can be done about it ........and their speeding continues. :mad:

Can you pay on the spot fines in cash in any juristiction in which they operate? That would be a recipe for a real can of worms I reckon...

I have heard stories of the Gendarmarie frog marching (pardon the pun) speeders to the local cash point in order to pay fines.

bond-007 said:
I have heard stories of the Gendarmarie frog marching (pardon the pun) speeders to the local cash point in order to pay fines.

I've heard of this also.

I don't see why paying on-the-spot would be a problem. You hand over your (or credit card) pay the fine, and are issued with a reciept. End of story.

Just seems to me that there's always the temptation for bent coppers to negotiate a lower settlement and noprejudice (e.g. points or endorsements) when cash changes hands in this sort of situation. Maybe I'm cynical but as we all know at this stage not all members of our police force are paragons of honesty... :(

ronan_d_john said:
Why don't you just sit with half your car sitting in the hard shoulder? It's fun watching them come up behind you trying to pass. You're doing nothing wrong and all the frustration gets passed from you to them. It's great :D

ronan_d_john, you think exactly like my boyfriend! He did exactly that, this morning but no one drove up the hard shoulder on the dual carriageway instead they drove the hard shoulder along the main road where it wasn't a dual carriageway! AARRRRGH!!!!

ClubMan said:
Just seems to me that there's always the temptation for bent coppers to negotiate a lower settlement and noprejudice (e.g. points or endorsements) when cash changes hands in this sort of situation. Maybe I'm cynical but as we all know at this stage not all members of our police force are paragons of honesty... :(

Clubman, correct me if I'm wrong but did you manage to essentially accuse the Gardai of being open to systematic bribery without anyone noticing it all day until now? And without being challenged for evidence?

ClubMan said:

Not all people are paragons of honesty.

At the end of the day, if such an 'on the spot' payment system saves lives - thats all that matters to me (......even if the odd copper does a 'side deal' with a motorist) !

ClubMan said:

What is your evidence for fiscal irregularities perpetrated by members of the Gardai Siochana? Do you base your remarks on personal observation of police officers appropriating public funds in these situations? If so why did you not approach them and obtain an explanation, share your views on paragons and non-paragons? Are your remarks based on anecdotal accounts from others? In that case might there not be an element of bias? On how many separate occasions have the alleged 'negotiations' occurred? Can you provide links?
:rolleyes: As Yul Brunner was wont to say in The King And I - "Etcetera, Etcetera, Etcetera".

LIVERLIPS said:
Something has to be done about them speeding they know they cannot get speeding tickets so they take full advantage and intimitade us

Blinking furriners! ;)

as a Dundalkie I probably see more speeding Norn Iron cars than most. The Gardai if they catch a northern ireland car on the motorway ( and it would be hard to 'Catch' some of them at the speed they go,) usually have an on the spot fine. If the speed is very excessive they have been know to bring the driver to a cash point and make them withdraw the fine. They have to issue a receipt for this anyway but the northern ireland drivers dont care about fines, they Can't be given penalty points and thats all they are iterested in. two penalty points to a southern driver is equivelant to over a €200 fine when you lost the no claims 'bonus' which Hib give to drivers who have no points whatsoever and as points carry for 3 years effectively the €80 fine is multiplied by 3 or 4 times this. Norn Iron drivers are not all bad, but some don't care when they cross the old border. and they are usually driving much better and more powerful cars then ROI drivers.

I lived in France for 6 years, boy is it strict there .You MUST carry all documentation at all times and if stopped and you dont have your drivers licence for instance the car is impounded and towed away (at your expense) until you can provide the necessary paper work .If caught speeding you will get a fine however if you are caught sppeding excessively on the motorway (eg. 100mph +) then the car is impounded and you must pay the fine after the car is released.

I have a friend living in Norway and acted like the Northern racers and the cops caught him in his Irish registered car doing about 100mph on the motorway, they impounded the car and refused to give him back his licence and he had untold amount of trouble sorting it out.

Eeek!!!! said:
Clubman, correct me if I'm wrong but did you manage to essentially accuse the Gardai of being open to systematic bribery without anyone noticing it all day until now? And without being challenged for evidence?

Poor old Garfieldus was banned for less but then like all over Ireland one law for us and another for Administrators.

Back