Non Traditional Wedding Suggestions/Ideas

This thread has popped up again, so thought Id give an update.

We eloped and got married out in the bush on a Game Reserve in South Africa. It was amazing.
We had some fun phoning home afterwards and telling people

We held a Black Tie Halloween Ball in a creepy old house when we got back, which was really just a costume party - with finger food and a DJ.

So thats how my non traditional wedding went!

Eloped?! In what sense?

The whole thing sounds great by the way!

Eloped in the sense that people thought we were having a small registry office ceremony in October, followed by a costume party the next night and due to work/college committments we couldnt go on honeymoon then so we arranged to go away in August instead - no one thought anything of it, they just figured we were early honeymooning and that was that.

But what we were REALLY doing was slipping off to our own wedding
No one knew. Oh, our GP knew because we went for travel vaccinations - and we were bursting to tell someone - so we told her under doctor/patient confidentiality! But no friends or family knew.

So we just had ourselves, a minister, 2 witnesses from the hotel staff and a photographer. (one of our witnesses was holding his rifle in case a lion decided to come along for lunch )

After the ceremony we had champagne, then a private game drive - followed by our photographer in a seperate jeep, then later as the sun was setting we had a champagne picnic out in the open before going back to the hotel for a private 4 course meal in our room - they decked the room out in flowers and candles too - so we ate by the patio doors with the baboons entertaining us on the cliff face beyond - screaming at each other and clambering about.

Then nature put on a thunder and lightening storm later that evening.

It was cool!

Sounds like my ideal wedding. Congrats

That sounds absolutely amazing. Congratulations. (my in laws would have killed us for doing similar I think!)

That sounds absolutely amazing. Congratulations. (my in laws would have killed us for doing similar I think!)

Yes - we had 2 people a little upset that we'd had run off like that. However, they were both the most interfering about it when they thought it was a registry office affair in Ireland and it was partially due to the hassle they were generating with the plans that we ran off and did it.

They settled down after a few days. Even if they wanted to be annoyed it was very difficult for them when everyone else was full of joy and congratulations for us