Non Traditional Wedding Suggestions/Ideas

This thread has popped up again, so thought Id give an update.

We eloped and got married out in the bush on a Game Reserve in South Africa. It was amazing.
We had some fun phoning home afterwards and telling people :)

We held a Black Tie Halloween Ball in a creepy old house when we got back, which was really just a costume party - with finger food and a DJ.

So thats how my non traditional wedding went!

This thread has popped up again, so thought Id give an update.

We eloped and got married out in the bush on a Game Reserve in South Africa. It was amazing.
We had some fun phoning home afterwards and telling people :)

We held a Black Tie Halloween Ball in a creepy old house when we got back, which was really just a costume party - with finger food and a DJ.

So thats how my non traditional wedding went!

Eloped?! In what sense?

The whole thing sounds great by the way!

Eloped in the sense that people thought we were having a small registry office ceremony in October, followed by a costume party the next night and due to work/college committments we couldnt go on honeymoon then so we arranged to go away in August instead - no one thought anything of it, they just figured we were early honeymooning and that was that.

But what we were REALLY doing was slipping off to our own wedding :)
No one knew. Oh, our GP knew because we went for travel vaccinations - and we were bursting to tell someone - so we told her under doctor/patient confidentiality! But no friends or family knew.

So we just had ourselves, a minister, 2 witnesses from the hotel staff and a photographer. (one of our witnesses was holding his rifle in case a lion decided to come along for lunch :))

After the ceremony we had champagne, then a private game drive - followed by our photographer in a seperate jeep, then later as the sun was setting we had a champagne picnic out in the open before going back to the hotel for a private 4 course meal in our room - they decked the room out in flowers and candles too - so we ate by the patio doors with the baboons entertaining us on the cliff face beyond - screaming at each other and clambering about.

Then nature put on a thunder and lightening storm later that evening.

It was cool!

Eloped in the sense that people thought we were having a small registry office ceremony in October, followed by a costume party the next night and due to work/college committments we couldnt go on honeymoon then so we arranged to go away in August instead - no one thought anything of it, they just figured we were early honeymooning and that was that.

But what we were REALLY doing was slipping off to our own wedding :)
No one knew. Oh, our GP knew because we went for travel vaccinations - and we were bursting to tell someone - so we told her under doctor/patient confidentiality! But no friends or family knew.

So we just had ourselves, a minister, 2 witnesses from the hotel staff and a photographer. (one of our witnesses was holding his rifle in case a lion decided to come along for lunch :))

After the ceremony we had champagne, then a private game drive - followed by our photographer in a seperate jeep, then later as the sun was setting we had a champagne picnic out in the open before going back to the hotel for a private 4 course meal in our room - they decked the room out in flowers and candles too - so we ate by the patio doors with the baboons entertaining us on the cliff face beyond - screaming at each other and clambering about.

Then nature put on a thunder and lightening storm later that evening.

It was cool!

Sounds like my ideal wedding. Congrats :)

That sounds absolutely amazing. Congratulations. (my in laws would have killed us for doing similar I think!)

That sounds absolutely amazing. Congratulations. (my in laws would have killed us for doing similar I think!)

Yes - we had 2 people a little upset that we'd had run off like that. However, they were both the most interfering about it when they thought it was a registry office affair in Ireland and it was partially due to the hassle they were generating with the plans that we ran off and did it.

They settled down after a few days. Even if they wanted to be annoyed it was very difficult for them when everyone else was full of joy and congratulations for us :)

Back