Non resident Irish Nationals seeking mortgage for Irish property from bank operating in Ireland

Good to know Horatio. I'm a non resident who had no problem borrowing from Irish banks around 2005 and before that too. I did not need anything special such as a broker or extra solicitor.

When the bubble bust everything got more difficult.

This probably worked out as a good piece of diversity in their lending for the bank.

I tried to do this previously when I lived abroad and ended up just having to relocate back home! haha

Horatio,

Check with Haven (subsidiary of AIB), I know somebody and their situation isn't exactly the same as yours but it wasn't the standard, they seemed a little bit more flexible.

Horatio,

Check with Haven (subsidiary of AIB), I know somebody and their situation isn't exactly the same as yours but it wasn't the standard, they seemed a little bit more flexible.

Thanks Andrew, I’ll do that.

Just been declined by PTSB on the basis that I'm not paid in Euro. They did not cite non residence as a reason for declining.

AIB seem to be engaging...;)

I can get a regular mortgage apparently but only if I move into it immediately upon purchase. If it lies vacant for a couple of months thay can only offer a buy to let mortgage at higher interest rate. Let's see, it's early days...

I managed to get a mortgage with Haven (AIB subsidery) via a broker in April of this year. I'm still living and working in the U.S, my family moved back to Ireland permanently last year. You'll need to have patience, it's head wreaking at times.

Hi Horatio, I am in the same boat and currently (via a broker) trying to get a mortgage for a property in Ireland (more like a holiday home) for the time being. As far as I am aware, AIB are the only possible provider for ex pat mortgages and will offer a mortgage 65% LTV for:
A holiday home so not returning home or for a family home - intention to return to Ireland soon. BTL will not be covered. Just wondering how you are progressing with it? Thanks

Back