No Will

doc48

I hope someone can offer some advice. An aunt of mine died intestate over 20 years ago. A brother of mine acted to represent my Aunts legal affairs. However, I was told that there was no monies left for any decedents.
I know the solicitors firm that was used. Would that firm tell me what the details of the probate were if I asked ? My brother has always remained tight lipped on the matter hence my reason for finally an answer on the matter.

Thanks Everyone.

Why don't you just ask the firm involved?

If no response then ask your local probate office. They should keep or have access to all probate records in the area concerned -though for old records maybe , if they are not on computer, they're sent to a central archives at the central probate office in Dublin.

Many thanks for that.. Will contact the probate office in Dublin first.

Thanks Again...

Tell us if you discover that your brother took a million without informing you !

I think you're on the right track. Research it first through the probate office QUIETLY.

I very much doubt that the firm of Solicitors originally involved with the grant of administration would provide you with any meaningful information

Hi Again.

Just been to the local Probate office and in fact there was a will.....
Quote " I give, devise and bequeath all my property both real and personal to XXXXXX.XXXXXXX as his own property absolutely and I appoint him my sole Executrix.
Signed.....Dated......"

No value placed on estate in the will. Any thoughts on this ? Doubtful if I will ever find out its value.

I do vaguely recall signing a document (also my sister) that my brother had to give to the solicitor. Maybe I was young and naive at the time, but I'm thinking now, could this have been a waiver that I had signed ? Am I entitled to see a copy of this document ? If I asked the solicitor about this, would he inform my brother of my interest in this matter after all these years ?

If there was a will and your Aunt left everything to XXX then you could hardly have signed a waiver, (whatever exactly that means ). You could not have waived something that wasn't bequeathed to you.

Perhaps you can discover the value of the bequest as nephews ,even twenty years ago ,had a limited tax threshold and would have paid tax on anything above that threshold whatever it was 20 years ago. There may be records.
And if land/house was involved that it wouldn't be too difficult to ascertain the value. All sorts of stats showing value of property -plus newspaper ads etc.

But other than proving your brother is a cad what is your aim ? You are not legally entitled to anything and were not the heir

Well, I think the 'cad' part has been proven...but we can't help but feel that we were never told the whole truth. What did we sign then ? Could it have been a document to say that we had no interest in his estate ? I really can't recall. Why would the solicitor ask for us to sign any type of document if were not considered in the will ? There was no property involved. Only a considerable sum of monies. Am I entitled to ask the solicitor for a copy of this document i signed ?

Is XXX your brother? If so he has acted properly. The will was deemed valid, and he was the sole heir. You have and had no entitlement regardless of the value of the Estate.

Unless of course you think your aunt was not of sound mind, or was coerced by your brother. But that would be very hard to prove at this stage.

Back