No visible signage / house numbering in housing estates?

Re: Why cant one of the waealthiest countries in the world put up a few signs?

rpmacmurphy said:
ehh...because its the rules of the road?
1) You must indicate when exiting a roundabout
2) if its the first exit then you indicate left when approaching
3) If its not the first exit then stay in the left hand lane then indicate when past the first exit ( if your going "staright on")

Even worse when some drivers going straight indicate right first (I think it's cos they are slightly veering to the right) and then left when exiting. They're the guys (well probably girls) that think they have it all perfectly correct.

@rpmacmurph

OOPS, what I meant is that where I live the roundabouts are not that big ie you could class them just as mini roundabouts but the drivers indicate left when they have actually joined the straight on part of the road, it actually appears as if they are pulling in. Drives me nuts(joke)

noah

podgerodge said:
Even worse when some drivers going straight indicate right first (I think it's cos they are slightly veering to the right) and then left when exiting. They're the guys (well probably girls) that think they have it all perfectly correct.
Any evidence to support this statement????

podgerodge said:

Well, that's certainly the way I was taught it - including in the "advanced" safe driving course I did with Hibernian a few months after I passed my test (just over four years ago). If you're going more than straight ahead i.e. if you're going past 12 o'clock then you must indicate right first and then indicate left once you've passed the exit which is the one before the exit you want to take.

Janet said:
Well, that's certainly the way I was taught it - including in the "advanced" safe driving course I did with Hibernian a few months after I passed my test (just over four years ago). If you're going more than straight ahead i.e. if you're going past 12 o'clock then you must indicate right first and then indicate left once you've passed the exit which is the one before the exit you want to take.

Janet, thats what Podgerodge was saying, i.e. people are indicating right approaching the roundabout when their taking the second exit (or "Straight" or "12 o'clock") which is wrong and they usually have the attitiude like they are completely in the right..very irish.

rpmacmurphy said:
Janet, thats what Podgerodge was saying, i.e. people are indicating right approaching the roundabout when their taking the second exit (or "Straight" or "12 o'clock") which is wrong and they usually have the attitiude like they are completely in the right..very irish.

But if the second exit is more than straight ahead i.e. slightly to the right of straight ahead you are supposed to indicate right going on to the roundabout! (according to what I and presumably many others were taught)

Janet said:
But if the second exit is more than straight ahead i.e. slightly to the right of straight ahead you are supposed to indicate right going on to the roundabout! (according to what I and presumably many others were taught)
Correct me if im wrong here but can you tell me where in the rules of the road book does it tell you this? (i.e. if the 2nd exit is not directly in line with the approaching road that you indicate right going onto the roundabout!)

rpmacmurphy said:
Correct me if im wrong here but can you tell me where in the rules of the road book does it tell you this? (i.e. if the 2nd exit is not directly in line with the approaching road that you indicate right going onto the roundabout!)

rpmacmurphy said:

Folks - are we not getting off topic here?

Can we not leave it that common sense should apply here rather than getting caught up in how many degrees left or right of straight on necessitates an indicator.

For most roundabouts, it's obvious which exit is the "straight on" exit, and which exits are minor exits. Whether they're directly straight on, or varying by a few degrees, people should be a little flexible.

Does everyone always follow any strict rulings per rules of the road or what you're taught at driving lessons and have to do in driving tests? Don't people show a little flexibility to cater for day to day situations and practicalities?

You're always told to slow down for lights etc by dropping down through the gears, but who does that? Better replace some brake pads than the gearing in a car.

rpmacmurphy said:

No, don't have a rules of the road book near me at the moment. As I said above, this is what I was taught when learning to drive and afterwards. As far as I remember I checked at the time but the examples in the book don't include that situation - but it's a while ago now so couldn't say for sure.

ronan_d_john said:
Folks - are we not getting off topic here?

Can we not leave it that common sense should apply here rather than getting caught up in how many degrees left or right of straight on necessitates an indicator.

For most roundabouts, it's obvious which exit is the "straight on" exit, and which exits are minor exits. Whether they're directly straight on, or varying by a few degrees, people should be a little flexible.

Does everyone always follow any strict rulings per rules of the road or what you're taught at driving lessons and have to do in driving tests? Don't people show a little flexibility to cater for day to day situations and practicalities?

You're always told to slow down for lights etc by dropping down through the gears, but who does that? Better replace some brake pads than the gearing in a car.

Agree, going very off topic but yes I do follow rules of the road as strictly as possible (while experience has given me a better ability to judge when it's safer not to do so). Re dropping through each gear when slowing, this is not actually something that's required and I was advised against it during the Hibernian driving course I did. The instructor said it drove him mad that so many people were taught to do something unnecessary like that.

But back to topic - there are some estates where there are little signs up pointing in each direction with the range of numbers you'll find in that direction on them. They're handy but do serve to illustrate the point that the numbering schemes are totally illogical in some places. It can take me ten to fifteen minutes to find houses in big estates sometimes (do a fair bit of driving to places I don't know for Tupperware parties/deliveries at certain times of the year).

Back