No money given at ATM

David_Dublin

Hi. The wife was using her BofI card the other day in an AIB machine. All went as expected, card came out, but the money never followed. 300 quid. Anyone have any experience of this? She rang card services straight away, and the branch. She was told it'll take 10 days to get info back from AIB. Just wondering if there is anything else that can be done to ensure we eventually get the (much needed) money back eventually.

Hard to believe that in this day and age that they did not follow up on this immediately!!

Hard to believe that in this day and age that they did not follow up on this immediately!!

They cant verify that no money came out until they balance the money in the banklink against what was withdrawn. They probably dont fill the machine daily.

OP - did your wife get a receipt from the machine? What does her bank balance now say?

It did happen someone I know and they did get their money back after the 10 days.

I dont know if she got a receipt, not sure it matters - the 500 is gone from her account, presumably the receipt would just say that.

I'm assuming they did as much as they can on it, it was the ATM of a different company, so there is probably an SLA there for reporting, reviewing, and closing off these types of things. I imagine it must happen reasonably frequently, given that there must be tens of thousands of transactions a day.

Good to hear from truthseeker that it happened to someone else and they got it back, I'd be very surprised if they dont get it back. Unless it spat it out to someone else, the machine must have been out on the next reconciliation.

Happened to me too, Im with BOI as well. Happened at a petrol station ATM in Clonakilty. I called into my bank on the monday after and they explained they would need to contact the bank said ATM is from to get the money back. She said the days taking for that particular ATM should show a discrepancy and they release the money back once notified who the owner is.

Back into my account under 2 weeks later, no probs. She did mention it can take some time but no actual timeline to me.

The daily limit on ATMs is €300. There are quite a number of previous threads on this same subject if you run the search option.

Not true Sue Ellen, mine and Mrs Sparkrite's has always been 700 even was that in the day of the punt.

As SparkRite said, not true Sue Ellen. The machine would hardly let you select an invalid amount, tell you all was ok, debit that amount from your account, and just not bother giving it to you!!

As SparkRite said, not true Sue Ellen. The machine would hardly let you select an invalid amount, tell you all was ok, debit that amount from your account, and just not bother giving it to you!!

I concur - mine is also €700 per day is my limit, BOI current account.

This sort of thing seems much more likely to happen in petrol station ATMs, it has happened to me in those places more than once with smaller amounts like €50. I also got it back a week or two later....

This sort of thing seems much more likely to happen in petrol station ATMs, it has happened to me in those places more than once with smaller amounts like €50. I also got it back a week or two later....

What is different about petrol station ATM's surely there are no diffferent than bank ATM's

I have taken out €600 on numerous occasions from my local supermarket ATM and never a problem.

i withdrew 90 on monday morning at a local petrol station....card came out but no money......tried it again and same result! very strange so i logged onto my open24 account and seen it was debited-credited and debited -credited straight away thank god

This happened to my wife while in Swansea shopping centre. She managed to trace which bank owned the machine and went into the bank branch, they said to get on to her own bank in Cork (sounds crazy) she could not do this until she returned from holiday and was then told it would take 10 days (so the banks has our money interest free) she did eventually get it back but it all sounded a bit hit or miss.
My advise is to always use a machine attached to a bank.

yeh, thanks for the advice???? maybe on another topic, one where you are trying to decide where to take money out of or something

What is different about petrol station ATM's surely there are no diffferent than bank ATM's

I dunno but as you can see below people seem to have more issues with ATMs located away from a physical bank. Perhaps they have less cash and are refilled less often. I often find them physically slower to dispense the cash as well....

Something similar happened to me last year. I emailed my bank asking them to sort it out with the other bank, who's ATM I had used. My bank faxed me a dispute form to complete. The other bank had 10 days to respond.

The issue dragged on for more than 10 working days so I asked my bank to request (from the other bank) a letter of Final Response so that I could then contact the Financial Services Ombudsman. This seemed to focus minds and it was sorted very quickly thereafter.