Nissan Qashqai..opinions?

Squonk

I'm thinking of taking the plunge and actually buying a new car...the Nissan Qashqai. I have a test drive scheduled for Friday. I've scoured the 'net for reviews and they generally look positive. However, I'd like to hear the opionion of AAM'ers on whether this is a good buy or whether I'd be better off spending my €25k elsewhere. Thanks.

Havn't seen one...- their add on the telly is mighty have to say..... please do post your findings back here though after the test drive!

the advert is stupid it could be competing against bmw x5's or micras. i saw one in the flesh and it has roughly a primera sized interior in the shape of a jeep. although i dont know if it is a 4wd or not. if not, whats the point.

I drove the 1.5 diesel version that a colleague was considering. I found it quite sluggish and the inside is a bit plasticky (sp). Looks good on the outside though and it has a great driving position, you can see plenty around you.

good buy..........No. I don't think so. As for re-sale, I doubt it would hold its value as good as say a Toyota Auris 1.4D4D for the same money.

If I had 25k to spend, it definetly wouldn't be going on a Qashqai.

IMO, The Murano is the only decent offering from Nissan that I'd consider spending my money on and at that, I'd have to agree to having my fingernails pulled out first.

For the money you have, you would be better off getting a 1-2 yr old car and getting more for your money

I think its Cash-Ki

i feel a poll starting for the worst named car of 2007

Quashqai or C'eed

any additions?

as Geremy Clarkson famously said "Never drive behind a Nissan"...
Don't like the look of them at all, I don't like Nissans anyway, very plastic inside and feel flimsy on the road. MIL has an 05 Almera and I hate it. I think you can do far better with €25k on a new car....they are also a bit ugly really!.

Too new to call. One of the first "Crossover" vehicles.

I'd imagine it will be reliable, and the looks will win some sales. A pal drove a 1.5 diesel the other week and liked it.

I drove the 1.5 diesel the other day. Didn't take it for much of a spin as I wasn't really that interested but the sales guy was keen to get me into it. I liked the drive and driving position but I think it is let down by all the plastic inside. However, the higher spec with the glass roof and duel climate control was quite nice but that was about 30k for the diesel version. With 25k I'd be considering the 1.4 diesel corolla. Buying straight and a good haggle/shopping around you may even get the luna model close to that money.

As RS2k said you are basically buying into a new segment that is as yet unproven.

PS forgot to say be prepared to wait about 12 weeks for one.

So I went for my Qashqai test drive. This is the story:
The 1.6L was definetely sluggish. It felt really in pain when I put the peddle down. The car really looks really lovely though; the interior was quite nice too.
So, it came down to the pricing and things got really farcial here:
The price is €24k
'Extra' Charges brings it to €25k !!!
I drive a 02 Skoda Octavia, 51k miles, good condition, due a timing belt change.....they offered me €4.5k for this...I was expecting twice this! They claim the timing belt will cost €1k (which I don't believe...€300 maybe). There is a 3 month delay so they depreciated my Skoda by that time also.

This all left a really bad taste in my mouth. I'll check a few other Nissan dealers (because I really do like the look) and see what the story there is (there is no cartel in place with Nissan, right??!!)

is the Octy a 1.9TDi?
I heard the A4 1.9TDi belt is expensive to replace due to the labour hours in getting to it. Could be same as Octy,

So things got farcial with the finances. When I took the test drive the guy said "we would be really interested in trading your car let me do the numbers". Mine was a 03 now to cut the chase this is what he said "if you were trading today I'd give you 14K however as there is a 12 week waiting time I can only give you 12.5K, 1500 over 3 months!! (if you average that out my car is loosing 6k a year and should therefore only be worth about 5k retail. i.e. price new 29k - 6k*4 = 5K.)

The thing that annoyed me most however is that he never even bothered to ask what month my car was first registered. My car wont turn 4 years old for another 4 months but he was obviously just treating it as if it was already 4+ years. Is this par for course in the trade if so the consumer is potentially loosing out big time because of our registration system.

Hi CrazyWater. In my experience the trade go by the year so yours being a '03 is in it's fifth year 03, 04, 05, 06, and 07 when in actual fact it's not yet 4 yrs old. Ask him to show you the blue book on it. valuations vary according the the year quarter Jan - Mar, April _ June etc., and mileage, spec etc. Mind you if there's high demand for the QashQai and I suspect there will be at 23,995 + usuals, then you are going to find it hard to get a good trade. My wife wants one and I think they look the biz - going to drive one first and see.

Thanks Ted. Always wondered what they called that book. Anyway I've decided not to go for it and will probably hold on to the 03 for another year. Hope your drive in the Qashqai lives up to expectations.

Where can someone get a "blue book"? Is there an online version (if so, I can't find it)? Or is only available to the 'trade'?

Trade only.
Yes and I was sitting across from a car salesman last week. The 'book' was sitting beside me on the desk and he saw me glance at it...then he reached over, lifted it and put it in a drawer!!

Last edited: